Garden readying, containers for spring

Shanghai, China

Hello all. I am a garden designer in Shanghai, China and have been asked by a client to refurbish the garden for the spring here. The garden was installed last September. The site is on the sixteenth floor of a hotel in downtown Shanghai, in a very windy location (there are no other tall buildings around for several blocks, explaining the lack of broad-leaved choices... I may change this when I plant other things this year). I have whatever selections I will make for new planting under control; as for maintenance, I plan to prune as needed, remove dead material and top-dress with leaf mold. As the soil used was friable, not non-organic (this is too expensive here) but quite good all in all, nothing further should be needed in that department this year, so far as I know. A few photos to see what I'm working with are attached.

Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions that I haven't thought of. Always happy to learn something new. Current plant choices include:

Passiflora incarnata
Tradescantia virginiana
Caryopteris 'Worcester Gold'
Phyllostachys nigra
Loropetalum chinensis
Ficus carica
Agapanthus africanus
Buxus chinensis
Iris germanica
Rosmarinus maritimus
Panicum virgatum
Annual verbena, lantana and tradescantia (these survived the winter owing to a mild winter, but I might take them out regardless and replace with other things)

Thanks,
Ryan
www.cartershanghai.com

Thumbnail by ryanscarter Thumbnail by ryanscarter
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's a lovely garden and view. What is the weather like?

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

ryan
You are doing just great as you are. Wind is the enemy of all plants as it can blow off the flowers , bend or break the stems etc. Available in our nurseries are wire plant supports of varying styles hold up the plant from the wind. How about trying bulbs of different colors?

Shanghai, China

Cville_gardener- it's a pretty brutal climate. (I am wondering, what Cville? I am Virginian originally and lived in Charlottesville for six years.) Last summer it was 40 to 43 degrees daily for about a month in August, and then in winter it gets down to freezing more or less. It's always quite humid. Combine that with a healthy helping of pollution and you get a challenging place for growing plants.

Tplant- I would have liked to use broader-leaved options, but the wind limits it. I will try out some colocasias or caladiums up there next week as I think it needs something. Bulbs really don't do much here. The client is quite fussy and wants everything purple.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm in Clarksville. That does appear to be quite a challenge. But quite a view as well. I like purple Glandularia canadensis. I also like solid or variegated vinca. If you're using annuals, Ipomoea batatas purpurea. I.b. 'Marguerite' is a lovely chartreuse color for contrast but probably not what the client ordered. And Dichondra argentea 'Silver Falls' is also a good silvery spiller plant for some interesting contrast (although the client might not like that either).

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Any update on this? New pics?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.