Agaves to transplant

Gilbert, AZ

Well, first of all, is it possible to transplant agaves that are this big?

If it's possible, anybody interested in these? There's five or six of them that need to be moved from my parent's backyard.

Okay, if not possible to transplant what's the best way to get 'em outta there?

I've already trimmed the short point off of every single exposed branch (limb, frond, whatta you call them?) because my parents have dogs.

Ideas??

Thumbnail by Crista
Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

The best way to move them quickly is to put a free post on both Freecycle & Craigslist and say they need to bring their own shovel. They'll be gone w/in 2 days. Landscape Companies snap them up.

Phoenix, AZ

Those are beautiful and pointy O:

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I've transplanted some agave and they did fine. Just let your hose run on them at a real slow drip for a couple days to soften up the ground. Dig them up and transplant where ever you want, then water them in real good.

Pam

Gilbert, AZ

Thanks for the ideas Rene and Pam!

Yep, Fishie they are very pointy....however all dem points be cut off! These agaves are in the backyard of the house my parents moved into - they have two dogs and were concerned that the dogs would run into the agave points and be injured. So I got out there with hand trimmers and trimmed those suckers off so they can be banged into now without risk of injury. All the same, every few weeks or so I get out to trim off points from new growth. Beautiful plants but pretty awful in a backyard with dogs! :-P

Dolan Springs, AZ(Zone 9a)

That would be some kind of zenlike time... Nip, nip, nip, (cuss) nip, nip, nip...

Gilbert, AZ

Talked to a guy at A&P nursery yesterday - he said that they have a guy who removes agaves this big, but that many landscapers won't actually transplant them. What he said is that the trauma from transplanting an agave this big will often trigger them to bloom - they think they're going to die and need to propagate - so it's not really worth the toil and trouble to transplant. The bloom of course causes them to die.

So yes, hack, hack, hack, dig! Glad the pointy things are already nipped off!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Yu gotta do what you gotta do.

Gilbert, AZ

Yeh, I've just always hated the idea of intentionally killing plants. I do plenty of that unintentionally....but to take a perfectly healthy plant and tear it out just bothers me. But these agaves just can't stay in my parent's backyard! So I gotta do it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.