Can Tomato seeds found in soup germinate?

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

In Progresso "hearty tomato" soup the chunks of tomato still have some seeds in them, the jelly coating still surrounds the seeds. Will the seeds germinate if planted?

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I doubt it, because of the high heat in preparation, but why not try and see what happens. It would make for an interesting experiment.

Ken

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

I also doubt they will germinate. But worth a test. Let us know if it works out.

I know if you eat fresh tomatoes the seeds that pass through your body can germinate.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

More info than I wanted! LOL

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Wasn't trying to be gross...just that tomato seeds are pretty resilient. They are a problem for growers that use sewage biosolids...volunteer tomatoes in their corn etc.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Hey, I was a dentist in my past-life. You can't gross me out.

I'll let you know down the line when I plant my seeds this month.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

There's no such thing as too much information. No part of the bowel reaches the pasteurization temperatures of canned goods.

Keith, curious as to why would you want to grow out commercially canned soup tomatoes that are probably hybrid rather than the par excellence ones recommended here?

Quote from MaypopLaurel :
There's no such thing as too much information. No part of the bowel reaches the pasteurization temperatures of canned goods.

Keith, curious as to why would you want to grow out commercially canned soup tomatoes that are probably hybrid rather than the par excellence ones recommended here?

Just to see if it can be done, and curious what tomato they use for their soup :)

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Science requires a curious mind and reinvents itself in each individual. I can give you an almost sure-fired answer based on the science of what I know but I've never actually done the experiment. Go for it.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Depends on whose soup you are eating- Campbells Napoleon uses tomatoes grown in OHIO fields, since California area also grows product they use a lot of Roma that they produce down and we tote in huge special boxes when they start cookin. I am sure Progresso does the same, but there are simpler ways to find out...the tomato that is best for the purpose will be the one used.

Well, no seeds germinated. I opened them up and inside were underdeveloped seedlings that never grew or greened up no matter what I did, they all ended up molding.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for sharing your results!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Very interesting, thanks for sharing the results. I've been lurking and watching ☺.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.