Native beds in lawn areas

Downingtown, PA

The first photo comes from the Wild Ones 2014 Calendar that shows a front yard in a very residential area in Cincinnati, Ohio where the chapter members removed a good amount of lawn and installed ornamental borders of all eastern USA native plants, mostly perennials. The second is my peninsula bed in my southeast PA front yard that gives my yard a three-dimensional effect, an important design principle. I planted the Heritage River Birches in 2002 and most of the native perennials at the same time or at least when the trees were young. The third shows my deeply dug plastic edging in my peninsula bed where I created a sand and rock groundcover area behind it, over the all clay soil, and then Bar Harbor Creeping Juniper behind that. The forth is my little backyard birch bed of two Gray Birches surrounded by Wild Quinine, Ozark Coneflower, a Dwarf Fothergilla, and rocks in and around the little island.

Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nice. I'm trying for no lawn. We'll see.

Downingtown, PA

Because I live in a regular residential neighborhood, I keep some lawn to fit in. Of course, it is nice to have some green pathways. I know of a number of people whose yard is all native meadow and/or forest, which I would like if I were in a rural area.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I am in the city and I have had no lawn for 10 yrs now. I have beds, paths, a pergola, some red clay pots, a dry stream bed. I dont look like the neighbors but people who walk by say they love my yard. It changes from time to time, not fast, but gentle shifts as I tweak it every season.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It sounds lovely, steadycam. I hope to be able to get that done one of these days when I'm not a caregiver. Our neighborhood is older and we have flexibility that way. I doubt if anyone would complain.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Your "yarden" area look great, Rick! I get rid of more lawn area every year, but I find it a challenge to tie all of my various trees, shrubs and perennials together. Thanks for some good ideas - you make it look easy, but I know it's not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.