Recovery possible even though center frond pulled out?

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

So, I have two mule palms, both in pots and one survived our unusually cold January and one didn't, (I think). They spent the winter, side by side, so I'm assuming one was just stronger than the other.
I noticed the problem a few week ago, that one had only one green frond, so I pulled on the center frond and it came out. Although it's probably a goner, I have heard rumor of a way to possibly nurse it back, if there is life in it. I'm assuming it involves a copper fungicide, but don't really know anything for sure.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
noonamah, Australia

It's always worth a try. Not sure on this species but some people report success using that method (fungicide) after they've had spear pull on their palms. It certainly won't do any harm.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

That's what I was thinking, thanks.
The palm is a cross between a pindo and a queen.
Barb

Dana Point, CA(Zone 10b)

Same thing just happened to my newly acquired *very expensive* Cyphophoenix Nucele (Lifou) - and I'm really upset about it. I haven't even put in the ground yet. The rest of the fronds are fine and healthy- just no middle! wahh!
Anyway . .I'm trying the fungicide treatment. Hopefully it will live, or pop out a new spear sometime this summer. *sigh*

-Rey/Dana Point, CA

Thumbnail by Mantarey
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Oh, ick! Good luck!

Dana Point, CA(Zone 10b)

Make sure the "arboreal cup" of where the frond pulled out NEVER gets water in it. Keep it under eaves, and away from sprinklers. Make a way for water to drain out it possible. I'm feeding mine a light dose of Superthrive twice a month, along with the fungicide hoping for recovery in a few months. I don't know what else to do.

Thumbnail by Mantarey
Dana Point, CA(Zone 10b)

I just discovered what the problem was/is . and I don't know that I have hope for it any more. :(

Pink Rot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.