Moon Gardening Calendar March 2014

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

March 1st - 2nd

Flower Day
Sign ~ Aquarius
Moon ~ NEW

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aquarius: This is a Air sign. This is a good time to sow Flowering plants like Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes, but it would not be a good time to sow Rooting plants like Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Jerusalem Artichokes, Leeks, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Shallots, Spring Onions, Fruits Harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: This is the best sign for planting soft fruit. It is a time of maximum water intake for plants.

March 3 - 4

Leaf Day
Sign ~ Aquarius
Moon ~ Waxing

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: This is a Water sign. It is a good time to sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Celeriac, Celery, Dill, Lettuce, Rhubarb, Spinach, but it would not be a good time to sow Fruiting plants like Eggplant, Broad Beans, Cucumber, Peas, Peppers, Tomatoes,

Sidereal: Moon in Pisces: This water sign promotes root growth.

March 5 - 6

Fruit Day
Sign ~ Aries
Moon ~ First Quarter

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aries: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants, where climate allows it: Peas, …
Do not sow Leaf plants: Cabbages, Lettuce.

Sidereal:
Moon in Aries. Garden maintenance, weeding, cultivation and harvest. Do not sow anything, check or build a new compost heap.

March 7 - 8

Root day
Sign Taurus
Moon First Quarter

Biodynamic:
Moon in Taurus: Earth sign. Sow Root plants, where climate allows it: Radish, Spring Onions
Do not sow Flower plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Taurus: This is a good time to sow Root vegetable crops especially when hardiness in drought conditions is needed.

Until we hear from Cristina, I am posting these for the new month, though a day late. I have not been online for a few days. Please let me know if I make any errors.

Thank you! ^_^

Evelyn

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Evelyn, I had intended to cut back my vegetable garden this summer, but with the severe winter storms in the grain belt and drought in California which supplies so many of our fresh veggies, I fear another jump in food prices, so have to make a garden if I want to eat.

Thanks for the March signs.

Hi, Darius!

Yes, we have drought here, but fortunately we have a good deep well. (So far!) Of course, we will still conserve, but, yes, vegetables! They will be expensive, you can count on that!

I am working on shoring up my raised beds (4' X 4' X 12") Square Foot Gardens. One is added and three are being replaced as it was about 15 years that they have been there, for a total of 9. Also I have already started some tomatoes, eggplants and peppers inside and some lettuce, carrots, beets and peas outside.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks evelyn for the post on moon signs. I have been doing my planting by them for years.
I will refer some other DG members to your post as we had a discussion on seed starting that touched on the subject of WHEN to plant WHAT. I find the Farmer's Almanac is not always specific enough for my needs about what to plant on certain days.For example Strawberry SEED, when do you plant them? I see strawberry plants are listed, but when would the seed have the best chance of sprouting? I have read that they are difficult because they're such tiny seed. I have several different varieties that I would like to try, some are not readily available on the market as plants and those that are....way too expensive!
My family has planted by the moon for generations and it seems to work well. I decided to try a comparison of something that I have lots of seed for, to see how much the moon signs affect germination rates, just for curiousity sake. My Grandmother would turn over in her grave, God rest her soul!

Quote from Nanny23 :
My family has planted by the moon for generations and it seems to work well. I decided to try a comparison of something that I have lots of seed for, to see how much the moon signs affect germination rates, just for curiousity's sake. My Grandmother would turn over in her grave, God rest her soul!

Oh, great! Let us know how your experiment turns out!

Thank you, Nanny23, and welcome. As far as I know, strawberry seed would do well on a fruit day.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Thank you evelyn, I will give it a try.
I will let you know how my experiment goes. I am always trying something off the wall, just to see if it works!

Concord, KY

What does Sidereal mean? My family has used the signs for years, but I am not familiar with that term.

Sidereal cycle

The Sidereal cycle is very similar to the Biodynamic cycle except only the moons orbit around the earth is used to define the best times to sow and harvest. The orbit is divided up into 12 equal 30 degree sections to represent the position of the moon in the sky, but it may not be the same as the current moon position. The sidereal cycle takes 27.3 days to complete

Biodynamic cycle

Secondly, there is the more detailed method using the 12 Zodiac signs as a method of position the moon, for more accurate planting. This method was developed by Rudolf Steiner in 1924, and the Zodiac signs used where the actual positioning of the signs in the sky, when the moon passed through them. In addition to the position of the moon, Venus and Saturn also played a large part in the Biodynamic farming calendar. For more information see the Wikipedia Article on Biodynamics.

March 9

Root day
Sign Taurus
Moon First Quarter

Biodynamic:
Moon in Taurus: Earth sign. Sow Root plants, where climate allows it: Radish, Spring Onions
Do not sow Flower plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Taurus: This is a good time to sow Root vegetable crops especially when hardiness in drought conditions is needed.

March 10 - 12

Flower Day
Sign ~ Gemini
Moon ~ Waxing Gibbous

Biodynamic:
Moon in Gemini: This is a Air sign. This is a good time to sow Flowering plants like Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes, but it would not be a good time to sow Rooting plants like Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Jerusalem Artichokes, Leeks, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Shallots, Spring Onions, Fruits Harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Garden maintenance, weeding, cultivation and harvest. Do not sow anything, check or build a new compost heap. Barren and dry, and yet good for promoting flower growth.

March 13 - 14

Leaf day
Sign ~ Cancer
Moon ~ Waxing Gibbous

Biodynamic:
Moon in Cancer: Water sign. Sow Leaf vegetables, where climate allows it:
Oriental and Chinese vegetables are more resistant to cold weather, you can sow : Pak Choi, Chinese Cabbage, Ornamental Leafy Plants
Do not sow Fruit plants: Beans, Peas, Tomatoes ...

Sidereal:
Moon in Cancer: This is a good time for germination

March 15 - 16

Fruit Day
Sign ~ Leo
Moon ~ FULL

Biodynamic:
Moon in Leo: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants, where climate allows it: Peas, Beans, Tomatoes, Peppers

Sidereal:
Moon in Leo: Dry and barren. Good time for garden maintenance.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2014 9:26 AM

March 17 -18

Root day
Sign ~ Virgo
Moon Waning crescent

Biodynamic:
Moon in Virgo: This is a Earth sign. It is a good time to sow Root plants like Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Jerusalem Artichokes, Leeks, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Shallots, Spring Onions.

It would not be a good time to sow Flower plants like Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes, as well as garden flowers.

Fruits Harvested now should be eaten straight away

Sidereal:
Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Good time for garden maintenance.

March 19 - 21

Flower Day
Sign ~ Libra
Moon ~ Waning crescent

Biodynamic:
Moon in Libra: This is a Air sign. This is a good time to sow Flowering plants like Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes as well as garden flowers. It would not be a good time to sow Rooting plants like Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Jerusalem Artichokes, Leeks, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Shallots or Spring Onions.

Sidereal:
Moon in Libra: Sow green manures or cover crops.

March 22 - 23

Leaf Day
Sign ~ Scorpio
Moon ~ Last Quarter

Biodynamic:
Moon in Scorpio: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Celery, Dill, Lettuce, Spinach. Do not sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans , Cucumbers, Peas, Corn, Tomatoes.

Sidereal:
Moon in Scorpio: An excellent time for planting, germination and strong sturdy growth will result.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2014 8:07 AM

March 24 - 25

Fruit Day
Sign ~ Saggitarius
Moon ~ Last Quarter

Biodynamic:
Moon in Sagittarius: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants, where climate allows it: Peas, Beans, Tomatoes

Sidereal:
Moon in Sagittarius: Dry and barren. Good time to plant onion sets and bulbs.

March 26 - 27

Root Day
Sign ~ Capricorn
Moon ~ Waning Crescent
Last Quarter

Biodynamic:
Moon in Capricorn : Earth sign. Sow Root plants, where climate allows it: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Jerusalem Artichokes, Leeks, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Shallots or Spring Onions.
Do not sow Flower plants: Broccoli and garden flowers ...

Sidereal:
Moon in Capricorn: Potatoes and tubers planted now will have a strong growth.

March 28 - 29

Flower Day
Sign ~ Aquarius
Moon ~ Waning

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aquarius: Air sign. Sow flower plants and broccoli.
Do not sow Root plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Aquarius: Dry and barren. Good time for garden maintenance.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2014 7:41 PM

March 30 - 31

Leaf Day
Sign ~ Pisces
Moon ~ New Moon

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: This is a Water sign. It is a good time to sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Celeriac, Celery, Dill, Lettuce, Rhubarb, Spinach and Sweet Basil. It would not be a good time to sow Fruiting plants like Eggplant, Peas, Beans, Cucumber, Peppers, Tomatoes. Fruits harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: This water sign promotes root growth.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2014 9:37 AM

Quote from darius :
Evelyn, I had intended to cut back my vegetable garden this summer, but with the severe winter storms in the grain belt and drought in California which supplies so many of our fresh veggies, I fear another jump in food prices, so have to make a garden if I want to eat.
Thanks for the March signs.

Well, Darius, you won't have to dig yourself a garden. I don't know if they have gardens in heaven...I hope so. We miss you already!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.