My Prairie Garden in southeast Pennsylvania

Downingtown, PA

In 2002 I started a backyard native, naturalistic garden inspired by the National Wildlife Federation's Wildlife Friendly Backyard Gardens. There was nothing but lawn in my whole 1/4 acre yard, so I started from scratch, installing planting bed areas. The first photo is in 2003 with the orange Butterflyweed having multiplied from just one original plant by seed. Virginia Culver's-Root in white bloom in the second shot in July 2005. Wild Quinine with white flowers in bloom in the back of the third in July 2007. Queen-of-the-prairie in pink bloom in early July of 2012 of the forth photo. The fifth photo shows a farther shot of the garden in July 2010.

Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful! I'm glad to see Culver's Root in a garden setting. When I bought it from a native plant society, the volunteer helping with the sale said it might be too floppy for a garden. Yours sure isn't.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Do you by any chance have photos of gardens on slopes? I have an area that slopes up from my patio, and I want it to look good from the patio. I'm wondering how, or whether, to factor in the varying plant heights.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.