CLOSED: March Chat - Spring!!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yeah, Spring sounds great!!!! Hopefully no more polar vortex!!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm hopeful too although they say it will be cold this coming week.

Do you drive to work in it?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes I do but, I am very fortunate. I only live one mile from work. Am very thankful for this.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's wonderful, Ronna. I do like being close to things these days.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Its warmer this Morning then the last 3 days 3-5 more Inches of new snow by tomorrow .
So I Need to go into town before it gets worse :)
Ya all have a great day .

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Our news had a comparison story last night. Weatherman predictions against the farmers almanac. And in any given area of the us the farmers almanac was closer in predictions.
Thanks for the new room.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

heehee. very funny LK. Don't suppose it gave a comparison cost between the 2 sources???!!! But really, I look at weather all the time. i like the maps of fronts,etc. Can't help myself. I'm a farmer's daughter.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1351862/

Susie has the plant swap open, come and check it out.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

well it is under 20 something freezing rain and very grayhere with snow on the way. Can I complain? oh well, I have the basement gardens. ;)
Ronna, I know you are ready for spring!

Ladies, I wish I could send some of our heat! It is 92 right now.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

92 wowzer! we will be 7 by morning and -7 sunday night with 6 to 9 inches of snow...gonna be white again.

guys i got a new car this week....it is a fiat pop with a sun roof...it is so cute, light blue, no more taxi yellow focus, well actually we still have it. I hope we can get a couple thousand dollars out of it. It runs great but has over 200,000 miles on it and a little bit of deer damage...rofl. fiat had a bright yellow but gosh i was afraid the deer don't like bright yellow so I decided to stay away from it besides it didn't have a sun roof. dh actually made room in his garage and it fits inside, i was surprised by that. suppose to get 40 mpg on the highway, so we will see.

92 I can't believe that, are you still droughting or is any of this calif stuff heading your way

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Posted in Feb chat since I started it the other day...but, I beens a bizzy girl.

**WavIng** Hi all!

Sorry I've disappeared for so long. I'm trying to complete my admissions packet to transfer, and they're all due by the 1st. Yuck! I had to come up with two essays for UT and I'm really not sure. I visited campus today and put about 15 miles on my shoes. I'm also applying to St. Edwards, as they're the two colleges that offer the management program I want. in postscript, I did get them in yesterday, and even took a trip to the campus!

I'm tired. :(

Debra, I will happily share the Greenthreads with you when they come up! They're usually a little bit later in the spring. I did see some Four-Nerve Daisies starting to pop up, and they take over the whole yard which I LOVE. I also see thistle and indian blankets, but they don't transplant well. OH, and we have a fabulous native Oxalis with pretty purple flowers which I can easily dig and share some tubers too. :)

My iris are blooming their heads off, my daffs are popping new buds daily (which I'm slightly bummed about - they were supposed to be doubles and instead are minis! But they smell wonderful so I overlook the form)

Careful with the wild radish. The yellow form has taken over the medians and road sides here, and they now pretty much drown out the beautiful wild flowers. They're already blooming and will likely drown out the bluebonnets and Paintbrush. :(

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Native wild violas take over the yard here and I love them too. Our back yard is full of whatever ... violas, chickweed, deadnettle, various grasses, others here for almost 50 years. I sow lots of native wildflowers and plant native perennial shrubs and trees like pawaw, baptisias, American beautyberry, many others.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Happ congrats on the new car. I also put this on another thread. Your new car sound wonderful. I have a sun roof in my car and love it so much. I am so jealous of the weather inTexas right now! 90's? Really. It will not be that until July or something like that. But I really do not like the 90's so thats fine. A really nice 70s is just fine for me.

Debra you better believe I am so ready for some warmer weather. Ggrrr. We got another 4 or 5 inches of snow overnight.
Cville your yard sounds so wonderful. Love all the native flowers.

Carey, good luck on the transfers! No 90's today, only supposed to reach 83.

Congrats on the new car Happ! Any pictures?

Hope all your endeavors are in your favorite, Carey. Watching you go after your Goals has been a pleasure.
I love Oxalis of all kinds,but not the wild ones. I have violets but not violas, what is a viola? I need to look up the four nerve daisey.

Joyce congrats on the new CAR! yay! It is a whole 3 degrees outside right now. Brr!

Carole, I have beauty berry both colors, my white one wasnew, and after this brutal winter, can't wait to see if it comes back. Do you knw what this plant is? It looks cool and is growing up in the American side of Niagra Falls.
LK, you might be somewhere we are all jealous of right now, but when you are in the triple digits I admire your spirit. I hope your season brings you lots of rain this year. I personally love triple digits. Joe hates them.
Ronna, I really hope we both get to Spring in a huge burst of Splendor with greens and pretty colors. Right now, it seems it will never get here.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

http://natureswow2.blogspot.com/2013/02/white-berry-bush-flueggea-virosa.html?m=1

Debra. Is the plant?

Can't tell, I don't have a good enough shot of the leaves on my photo.. I figure it must be cold hardy.. the Falls are frozen right now LOL.
I love shrubs that leave berries. My teeny tiny lil holly looks like it has lost the top two inches. It is like three inches tall outside . poor thing.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Viola is the largest genus in the violet family. The wild violets and crosses are in this genus. Viola x wittrockiana is the common pansy. African violets are not true violas/violets.

Yes, it would help to have a shot of the leaves on that plant with the white berries. I don't know what it is either.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

No pics on the car right now. It is too darn cold to do anything except sit and ding dong around and days like this I really have to stop from eating junk. Have a good excuse not to clean the storage room too cold to do that...rofl. Dogs bored husband bored I seem to be the only one ok. Dog goes out and then comes back litterly shaking from being so cold. So slick is like a kid in and out in and out.

Almost have the knitted trim done on the baby blanket! Probably will be trying to put it together this week, then can find a baby quilt to make. fun fun.

stay warm.

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh Happ, I LOVE the Fiats! I want one too, when I finally have a job again, instead of costing money. lol! Which color did you get? :)

Carole, my yard sounds a lot like yours. Lots of "weeds" that are really pretty for some reason or another! Although I could do without the ragweed. That isn't even pretty!

Debra, this is the native oxalis http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/species.php?id_plant=OXDR
Four-nerve Daisy http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/species.php?id_plant=TESC2

It turns out my Blackfoot Daisy http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/species.php?id_plant=MELE2
and Flame Acanthus are also spreading nicely so I can root some offshoots. http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/species.php?id_plant=ANQUW

Supposedly the Flame Acanthus is popular among the hummers but they never visited my plants. The Blackfoots have a wonderful powdery scent that carries with the breeze. :)

Native violas are also called "Johnny Jump-Ups" or "Wild Pansies". There are tons of colors and leaf formations. Love them all. :)

36 Degrees right now. It was 75 yesterday and 86 on Friday. BOO.

Sounds loverly Carey, We need to see what tropicals I have that you might want to trade for. it is now officially 7 degrees here. LOL
Gonna make some banana bread in a lil bit, been misting and debugging stuffs downstairs. Hard to believe I am fighting aphids and mites off and on, but I didn't use the systemetic once we got inside for the winter. *sigh* Using dial soap, windex, a drop of castor oil, and some dog flea dip ( pyrethins) in spray bottles.
Man, I think we got the first inch of snow predicted now, and it is still blowing. :P^

I have sunshine,, warm weather and a brand new Ipad!!!

Now that is my idea of a perfect day!,

And it will post pictures!,,

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

i love the succulent bottles and the dragon flys

You no like my king Ralph?????

Oh I love that photo...a bunch of good looking men! ARe these guys your family?

Yup. Ralph is bottom left in blue with crown. My hero. The rest are various boyfriends,and husbands and ex husbands. They are a good looking lot. I need to find the one of us girls. For some reason I keep losing that one. Got one of my parents too and my daughter. We did them all in Las Vegas along time ago.

That is pretty cool Kris!

Susie has the April bulb swap open
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1352017/

YOU CAN PUT YOUR HAVES & WANTS AT THIS LINK
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1351861/

BUSY DAY Today if i can ever get my Doors open waiting for jim to come kick in my side door so i can go feed & water .
mean while haven my coffee think they said - 7* high of 15*
ok jims here so you all have a great day

Sure Hope POISONDARTFROG, & Cvill, & others are staying in with all the snow & Ice down their was . Be safe ladies.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm staying in at least today and tomorrow. I got my grocery shopping done yesterday to be on the safe side. People here can't drive in the snow. This is our first deep snow in several years and there are already dozens of wrecks out there and people off the roadside.

Well, it's deep for here - 5 inches of sleet turned to ice with several inches of snow over that. Some of the plants will definitely be "toast" this year.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Stay warm!

I Sure Know What you Mean even though we all up this way are used to the snowy & Icyie rds many are still off in the Ditch, & many pile ups . wish People would just Learn to stay off the rds Let the Road Trucks do their Job .
Well I just got home awhile ago & Finely after 3 1/2 yrs or so of this pain & over 100 TEST The Dr I Saw today Told me in within 3-5 mins as to what is going on with my back
INTETCOSTAL NEURALAIA Now I wait for His Nurse to call & set up a Day to Start INTERCOSTAL BLOCK Injections . so as of right now i just wait for her call .
what a guy If He hadn't been so tall I would have HUGGED Him But I only came to his belly button :) Hehe 6'8 to me 5'4'
I felt like a chimp next to him :) I'll be so happy to start the injection & Pray they will help .

well off to feed & water ya all have a great eve
susie

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's great news, Susie. I hope all goes well.

Bet your glad to finally know what is going on. Praying the injections help.

same here, Susie. I am glad they can help you. Yu be careful until that time will you?

My hubbys dr is 6 ft 8 too how weird. I went to him once and felt sorry he had to bend over so far to look at something on my lower bottom half. LOL anyways, Joe sees him regularly as a patient and at the basket ball games.
Sounds like your temps are the same as ours here, there are a few people at work who have to deal with busted water lines. warming up slowly the rest of the week, tho.
My hubby and his brothers did an old time western group shot. look like a bunch of wild men LOL

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I agree. Relief is long overdue.

I cannot tell ya how good i feel to know that I Now have a Dr who Knows This is not all in my head & The pain i have been in . I sure hope they call me today for the apt Date .
I have a Nephew that is 6'8 my brother jims oldest son & when he visits he picks me up hard to believe I Was once able to pick him up :)now he picks me up :)

well today i hope to go through some of my seeds & try to plant a few ya all have a great day .

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow love reading all the flower and plants talk. Wann be working outside. I usually have crocuses and daffidils starting to come up. Tulips to be next. Really miss them. I wonder if they will come up at all this year? Boo hoo.
Glad you finally got some new Susie.
Kris congrats on the new tablet... we love ours. Ours is not an ipad but it does everything. Love it. So easy to take and post pictures.

ronna did you wan to get in on the bulb swap ??? going to shut down for the night be back for coffee :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.