March 2014 Month of Vernal Equinox

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I stayed up late and here's the new thread. Welcome to March 2014!

Thumbnail by greenbrain
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well it seems we have two threads for March. Lol. Cville started one also....

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Sorry I got my threads mixed up. Lol. Hers is on another forum... duh

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

GL, you social butterfly! lol

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hope everyone is home safe and staying warm!! I got home after seven tonight. Was late leaving then the ice didn't want to scrape or melt so took awhiles to take care of that. Then it iced up again on way home. I got stuck with a doughnut hole to look thru before it finally started melting when I hit town. lol.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm glad that you made it home safely Pepper and thank you for the update. The bad weather hasn't reached the St. Louis area yet, but it suppose to hit here soon.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Well with this weather i should get alot done tomorrow. we are gonna have chili tomorrow i made sure we had all the stuff.

pepper glad you are safe and warm and hope everyone else is also. glad it happened on the weekend that way not as many people have to get out in it. safer this way.

guys i am so excited i got a new car this week. a fiat pop, it is so cute and really drives nice suppose to get 40 mpg which is a big deal for me since i drive a million miles. the dealer is really discounting the 2013 so I was able to get a sun roof. Course its way too cold to use it...rofl.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Awakened by the sound of sleet hitting the awning and salt trucks driving by. It's here! Also, occasionally hear the sound of spinning tires as a car goes thru the nearby intersection. Must be pretty slick out despite the salting. Just looked out the window, and everything is already white. Will try to go back to sleep now.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow pepper sounds like a treturous drive home. We kinda had the same thing last night. Very scarey driving home around 10:30 last night very slick. Green where are you? Sleeping in a camper or something. Hard to keep up on everything. Sorry. Happ congrats on the new car. I have never heard of a Fiat Pop. What color is it? The gas mileage sound great. Wow. How small is it? I have a vw jetta. Kinda that size?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

GL, I'm in the St. Louis metro east sleeping on 2nd floor of home. Those aluminum awnings spared our windows during a severe hailstorm late April 2012. A pic of my oldest daughter's car that did not survive, but the insurance helped her get a newer one. So, I'm glad for those aluminum awnings that have that tin roof sound when it's raining outside. Lastly, a pic from June 2012; we survived. LOL

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

Oh bad deal that is big hail! Awnings can be so helpful. My sister had awnings and could leave her windows open during a rain storm and it was so nice.

fiat pop is a small car smaller than the ford focus but has great safety ratings. DH would of loved to have a vw jetta disel. the fiat back seat folds down so you can expand the trunk area quite a bit. I never have any one or soooo rarely have 3 or 4 people in a car it is not a problem for me. I think I have always driven small car, I drove mg's and mg midgets, had old vw beetles, karman ghia, and even a fiat x19 that most people probably won't know. When I showed my nephew the new fiat, he yelled at my sister and said hey Aunt Joyce is back in a fiat...lol we had so much fun in my old x19.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

We're getting the snow now too Pepper. Temp 8 F now and feels like -11 F. That's pretty cold for our area; esp. in March. Snow on top of sleet on top of ice. It's a layer cake.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Green!
Love the Bridal Wreath!

Pepper,
Donut hole made me laugh, but ice is no joke! I'm glad you made it home!

Oooh Happ!
A new car! The mileage will be a bonus.. I'm glad you like it :o)

Green,
I have never seen hail like that in my town, WOW! Love your little girl!

Thanks for the link Pepper. The Pop is cute!

~ To Will!

March came in like a lion and we had 2''-3'' of snow. Today it's -6° and COLD!!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

That Fiat 500 Pop is a sweet car. They have had some incredible deals on that car I heard on the radio. I would love to have a little car with all those airbags and 4 wheel disc brakes would be sweet.

Hi bp, March did indeed come in like a lion, it is 2 degrees right now.

Here is one determined cat to get some babies off my Spiderplant! -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Will, I have 18 degrees still showing up on my computer. lol. Went to work this morning and it was -5 below according to our thermometer and at work it was -2 then went down to -4 before climbing into the singles after the sun rose.

Funny part was I was sweating in my bibs and it wasn't even in the teens yet. lol. The sun was warm!!

Oh, I see, now it says around that, the other one musta been an old unrefreshed one.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, that is the cutest kitty pose.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

bp, my grand-daughter Chloe and thank you. She really brightens my world. She will be coming to the roundup with me. The last time I brought her, she was only 2 1/2 years old. The last time I saw hail like that I was around 7 years old. The meteorologist said that it happens about every 50 years, so that would be about right, and I doubt that I'll live long enough to see it again.

Pepper, I kept thinking, "What's a single climbing sun rose? Something new at HD." Duh!!! LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Only came through browsing .
Grandma Mother Nature came for a visit , brought her Lion with her here too !
I was kind of afraid to ask her if the cats twin was named April ..

Maybe we could send her some Spider Plants to keep that Cat Entertained !!!^_^

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

So who has a copy of this? I missed out.

http://davesgarden.com/cookbook/

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Good one Ju!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Bp, that bridal wreath was already growing next to our house when we moved in 25 years ago. I've severely pruned it a few times to only have it come back even better. Is this something that I could propagate and share cuttings? I'll have to look it up. Our house was built in 1928, so no telling how old the shrub is.

Thanka green, she doesn't stand long so I have to be quick with the camera. That's kinda unusual for a cat but she does that also to look around out a window or something. Yeah ju, she is easily entertained, she loves Spiderplants! I don't mind if she eats on it right now, they grow back much more.

Oh Will that cat is a cutie and just looks like she has been caught in the act...too funny.

Barrel of oil prices are rising because of the russia problem, but they will rise anyway due to warmer weather coming some day, so the car will be wonderful then. I was already getting 33 mpg but every little bit helps.

I have been working on my nieces baby blanket I started abt 27 or 28 years ago...rofl. I have the trim finished so just washed it up and will stretch it to shape and sew the trim I knitted and the main body together. I will post a pic when I get it laid out.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

So far the cat here has left the Spider Plants alone , last year laid on them in the pot , this year only lays under them ,, so far.

Zinnia sprouts and Burr Marigolds for a hanging Basket are up now , Peppers have not sprouted , neither have several others ,
At least I will have a few early flowers , though ..

Plumbers working on the pipes here today . as for everything else ..
I might as well get the Hand bobbin and join in.
Happ ; while your doing the Blanket ( nice thing to do for niece and Baby )
I can crochet an old fashioned round rug ,, he , he ,,
Then in say about 2 decades , TA DA ,, !!! A Finish !!! lol

rofl...yeap ju no reason getting into a hurry with this making things. Humm I am thinking this was my oldest unfinished project..LOL

I need to start some seeds. zinnas take quite awhile don't they?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Zinnia just like a lot of heat ,, and more heat ,, and still more heat .
Five days since I planted the seeds today , Here they Are !!! lol

Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Came back to say they grow really fast , easy annual , Many types and varieties , many .
These are California Giants , some Cactus types , and a semi dwarf ..
These I maybe can have blooming by the time comes to set them out , after frost time ends,However they may not and usually do not bloom profusely until july , august, sept , so on .
All as before they like it warm , only as to where you plant them .They like water ,
A group of them crowded together , I have seen and had them make bush thicket , 61/2 ft tall
Keeping their water and mulch to their self when they have grown like that a few times .
That Wild Look ! With lots of Blooms !!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

You all are so funny. Always makes me smile when I read your posts. I am so happy you love your new car happ. Will, love the kitty cat picture. Brain, so you were at someone else house right? The awnings look neat. I like those old fashioned touches on homes. At least you two can croche. I am usless at that kind of stuff. Even if it is taking you 25 years to finish it. Rofl.

Thanks, I am very happy that such a boring old cat photo brings happiness to anybody.

I tried to grow a seed packet of Zinnias last year and not one sprouted. It was probably too cold for them. I found a warmer mat that happ suggested but it was $43, a bit more than myself has to spare right now.
If anybody knows where they sell them cheaper, please do share, (btw that $43 one was at Suburban Lawn and Garden, a place not particularly noted for being cheap). But, I can't find one anywhere else.

Ju, you sure do have good luck growing stuff!

Ooh.. Bridalwreath, an evergreen shrub! Yes, it does brown, hardwood cuttings. - http://www.ehow.com/how_8209073_propagate-white-spirea.html

I can't wait to see that blankie, happ!
Will

Amazon and so does Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/seedling+heat+mat?NCNI-5

Thanks pepper. I like one that HD has, I wonder if that's only available online like walmart.com, I never saw them in the HD store. Now that I think about that subject more, I just thought of using an old waterbed heater, I saved it when we threw away a broken old waterbed a few years ago. It is much bigger than one of those inexpensive warmer mats, the one I like at HD online is cheap but it's only 8 and a half inches wide.

Click on the item you like, then on the right hand side it will tell you if it's online only or if it can be found in stores and how many is in stock if so.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

There is an alternative Zinnia sown in June For Aug-Sept , Blooms .
Start them in small pots , in the sun , in a baking pan with a clear cover from the DS
or a food pan of sorts with a clear cover that stays on, in the wind.
Solar Oven .. You know ...
Your flowers wont be early , but they will grow !!!

Today indoor greens Tomorrow a Zinnia Sprouter ?!!!

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Aw Will Thank you really though ! ^_^ ,,, I thought it was 50+ years of experience and good Guessing ...
Wow , To find out after all this time it is only Luck ???!! LOL ^_^

I believe that though , ! about Luck !!! It is a great thing to Have !!!^_^

I have a few in there with the peppers , they are under a large photo spot bulb . lots of heat !

Thanks pepper. I like the $19.97 one, it's online only, maybe I'll order one or two and pick them up at the store.

Hi Ju! We cross-posted. Yeah good luck is good, mine kinda goes in spells it is pretty bad! : )

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes will , it is that way (ever changing)Mine is good with plants , okay in past living ,,, Right now as far as most ; It's the PITS !!!

This message was edited Mar 4, 2014 11:26 PM

Hehe.. I'll need luck tomorrow, I am going to a job fair. I took tomorrow off my present job.
Will

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.