Prairie landscape or garden

Downingtown, PA

I took photos of the grounds at the Wild Ones Natural Landscapers headquarters in central Wisconsin near the town of Neenah in mid-August 2013. Many of these perennials grow native in the Eastern US besides the Midwest. The difference was mostly that the Midwest had large areas of prairie and savannah while the East had some meadow openings among the forest. The 5th photo shows the Sweet Joe-Pye-Weed, the 4th is a field dominated by the golden Shiny Blackeyed-Susan, and the first three show lots of yellow Ratibida Coneflower, white Wild Quinine, pink Wild Bergamot, purple Purple Coneflower, blue-purple Hoary Vervain, and Lavender Hyssop. Great forbs for pollinators.

Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very nice, Rick. Some wonderful pollinator plants. Many thanks for posting these. Do you have more photos?

Downingtown, PA

I have many more such photos. I have posted a number of these plant species in the Plant Files. The list is: Queen-of-the-Prairie, Wild Quinine, Hoary Vervain, Wild Bergamot, Purple Coneflower, Ozark Coneflower, Ratibida, Big Blue Lobelia, Kobold Gayfeather or Blazingstar, Butterflyweed, Swamp Milkweed, Cardinalflower, Culver's Root, Cup Flower, Joe-Pye-Weed, Rattlesnake Master, New Jersey Tea, Big Bluestem, Little Bluestem, Prairie Dropseed, Switchgrass, and Northern Sea-Oats. I have a Facebook page called "Garden Composed of Prairie Plants." I posted lots of such photos to the Wild Ones Natural Landscapers Facebook page. I will post some more here, as soon as I can figure out how to post more photos in the same file.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Good. I'm looking forward to them. I perused your DG images. Very nice. I do love natives and wildflowers and happy to see people posting here.

Downingtown, PA

I'll continue putting more photos in this forum site.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, please do! I'm going to be looking here for inspiration. I have a backyard area that I'm going to plant with native perennials, and I know that it takes careful planning to make a garden that both looks good and has the right mix of plants blooming at the right time to support wildlife.

Downingtown, PA

Thanks! Wonderful! I will post some more sets of 5 native plant stuff photos in this forum. I have posted in the garden showcase section of this Dave's Garden also photos of my naturalistic yard sections. I have entered lots of native plant species photos into the Plant Files of DG, so you can type in a common or scientific name to look at individual species. I have a Facebook page of "Garden Composed of Prairie Plants" and "Shade Plants" too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.