NEED A GOOD VIOLA SOURCE

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Does anyone know a resource for finding a variety of violas? I am interested in getting a couple for a shaded area and I'm most interested in long bloomers. Thanks!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm looking too. Lazy SS seems to have a selection, and a Google Search came up with Gardener's Express, which seems to have a few also. I hope somebody who knows about violets on this forum can recommend some resources, maybe a specialty nursery, where to find them.

Sequoia, I'm pretty sure I have some 'rosina' that has spread about. I'll see what pops up this spring, and if they made it through the winter I'll have some for you at the May swap.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Aspen. Is that 'rosina' a violet? I'll check out Lazy S&S, I have already placed a large order with them but what's a few more plants :)

Is that Gardener's Express in the USA? I only saw one in Australia and the UK

This message was edited Feb 25, 2014 8:17 AM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes - rosina is a violet (LOL the picture in Plant Files is from our own greenthumb, so I'm sure he could have a few to share at the May swap too)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/84878/

And pooh, yes that Gardener's Express that showed up on Google Search was in Australia - I need to pay closer attention.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah that's a stinker when you find a good nursery for something you want and then realize it's in another country :(

I am more looking for true violas. We have a native violet that pops up in our yard occasionally and that one is blue. It's quite a persistant little bugger too.

I'm really looking for the dark purple viola that has a yellow center. Perhaps that one isn't hardy but I haven't found it yet.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sequoia, although these are seeds vs plants, is this more in line of the violas you are looking for?

http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/annuals/viola.html#gsc.tab=0

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah those are the exact ones I was talking about! Do you think if I buy some seeds and just sprinkle them about that they will germinate with no extra love or attention?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I copied this from the seed site:

"Sow in cell packs or flats, press into soil and barely cover. Needs darkness to germinate. Cover flat with newspaper and keep out of direct sun. Kept at 65- 70° F., germination is in 14-21 days. Transplant into the garden 9-12 inches apart."

I don't know, maybe just sprinkling them around could work. They are annuals, but I used to have the common purple and yellow "johnny jumpups" - they always self seeded and grew the next season, so I guess the outdoor environment somewhat simulated those instructions. I'm sure I would still have them growing if I hadn't disturbed the area where I had them.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Hmm...those are the annual ones? I guess that's why I can't find them on the perennial mail order sites. I'm definitely looking for perennials but I may get some seed packs and sprinkle them in our Rhodi bed, which gets decent shade. I was able to find some nice violas on American Meadows.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I think I will too - pretty minor investment for a couple of seed packs. I'll check out American Meadows...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.