Name this maple? Care recommendations?

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm sorry the pics are sideways. The website doesn't seem to like the images I'm uploading from this mobile device.
I have this healthier-than-when-I-bought-it maple tree, that I'm not sure how to care for properly. It seems too tall already to be a true bonsai, but I'd like to keep it in a pot for as long as possible. Can anyone identify what kind it is, and have any suggestions on how I to cultivate it?
It was about 2 feet tall with hardly any leaves in about three inches of common dirt when I bought it at a yard sale. In like, two months it shot up to about 4 feet tall after repotting in about 9 inches of good potting mix.
I'm in zone 9b. Looking forward to naming this maple!

Thumbnail by Plants4myPots Thumbnail by Plants4myPots
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I may be way off base here but it sure looks a lot like a Hibiscus acetocella. I always think they look so much like maples. Here are some pictures of the hibiscus.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hibiscus+acetocella&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=MugHU4u3FqbC0AHh64DADg&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Glad I asked! The person who sold it to me at the yard sale told me it was a maple... so I assumed it was!

This plant has a much better chance at finding a home in my yard now! I figured I was going to end up torturing a poor maple tree trying to bonsai it...

Thank you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.