Spring IS coming!

Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

I had been noticing the longer daylights, and lo and behold when I went out to check on my winter-sown seed jugs...This is what I saw. We all knew this winter would end, but it is so heartening to see the evidence.

The picture are reversed from my loading; # 3 shows the shoots from a spring bulb that I first saw.
#2 is what I found after moving the tubs with lavender near the house where I moved them for the winter. After I saw that shoot I thought I better check what might be happening under the tubs..I was right!

#1 What I found once I trekked through the snow to the east side of the house - it may be hard to see the small shoots because it was so sunny and I couldn't position myself to avoid all of my shadow. LOL.

Thumbnail by martyR Thumbnail by martyR Thumbnail by martyR
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't have a pic , but small leeks seem to be coming up today in a jug ..
Everything else is still snow covered .

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Penstemon showing life .
Few others , not so decorative rock set , but the plant likes it !^_^

Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I forgot , here is a wild aster Sprouting , early for this ,, only it is there .

Thumbnail by juhur7
Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

Juhur, that's a pretty shoot. I toured my garden beds the other day [before the snow storm last night] and lots of my bulbs were putting up shoots , but they looked a little yellow and straggly.

Only thing sprouting here are hyacinths and star of Bethlehem. Did the spring pruning on clematis today but ground still frozen in spots so that limited my outdoor time today.
My two hollies took a beating this winter with a lot of brown leaves (normally a nice dark green). Not quite sure what to do for it but figured I'd wait another month before going crazy with pruning as that will limit flowers and berries for the year.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

one last years onions
2 Daylilly shoots
3 Home built pre- warm or frame cover over a tire

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Brilliant idea with the tire! And it's portable as well.
Overcast and rainy today. Can tell by the rain pooling on the lawn that the ground is still frozen. Still lots of ice down in the wooded wetlands (created by Army Corps of Engineers) but I'm sure it's pretty slushy. I don't go down there even when it's dry as it's a poison ivy forest.
Potted up shrub cuttings - wegeila, elderberry and Duetzia. Should be large enough to plant out in DD MI garden this spring. The first two really put on a lot of growth in the GH over the winter.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Tires are not really allowed here and I try and hide them with Marigold when I grow melons or Zinnia when I grow something other in them ,
It is some what difficult to make those look good also . 66 degrees under there yesterday , Other earth around the place 48 degrees give and or take 10 degrees .
If it works all right I will be happy , My earth lacks the temperature to grow melons nicely , I need that other 12 to 20 degrees and the extra month of warm soil temps .

I would not walk through a poison ivy forest or thicket myself !!! I would imagine the critters make use of that though with enjoyment !

Here's some peach tree cuttings ,

Thumbnail by juhur7

Wow - peach tree cuttings? Nice!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi all...Happy Spring to you!
Haven't been around in a while...too much to do...too little time. Then we got a new computer with Windows 8 (eek!) and just hooked it up a few weeks ago.

It definitely has a steep learning curve and I haven't figured out yet how to deal with pictures so it might be a while before I'm able to upload any to DG.

We had one heck of a Winter, the 3rd snowiest in recorded history for the state. We also had more sub-freezing and sub-zero than we've had in many, many years.

Right now the snow has mostly melted and the yard looks pretty awful plus large parts of the back yard are very muddy.

Daffodils and Tulips are sprouting and a few miscellaneous perennials, but that's about it so far. Most surprising are the plants (other than bulbs) that were growing under the snow or kept their bright foliage, like Ferns, Heuchera, and Lamiums.

I'll be lurking around here even if I'm not contributing much, especially while trying to learn this computer.

Enjoy!

Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

Well, my life has been hectic, but I am managing to get some seeding started. And, when I walked around the house today I saw a bit of purple in the crocus shoots! Yea.

I did 2 jugs last weekend, and deno'd some delphinium. Did I do this correctly?; I soaked the seeds and then put them into a damp paper towel and put them into a dated ziplock bag in the refrigerator. Now I leave them for 3 weeks and then bring them into room temp? I decided to try this because as the snow melted I found that my initial jugs from February that have Delpinium and others, were all dried out.

Alas, I had put them next to house, forgetting the overhanging eaves. I have moved them, and the new ones, into an empty fenced raised bed. I watered them and I hope that they were not dry for too long. Do you think there's much chance of those seeds germinating?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Marty I put Delphinium done Deno last year . took four 1/2 months for them to germinate .
nice little plants , but I lost them fall planting .. (bugs , critters )
Anyway it takes them a long time to germinate (a job for Super Patience) ..

Hi Ya Nuts!!! ^_^ remember the Smiley!!!^_^
Snow and rain today here ,, Weather has been a real pooper all winter ,lol But I guess that is what winter is for , Finding out how tough everything is ,,lol
I saw your Moth got identified after a while ... ^_^
A few bulb shoots , everything is waiting ..

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Went out to clean up a little bit of the 'winter interest' around the perennials and was happy to 't see some green here and there starting up. Can't wait to see if everything comes back given the blanket of snow we had to buffer the deep freezes we had.

Have an order in with Bluestone Perennials through their weekly 50% off lists and have my eye out for a Crimson Sentry Maple locally.

Bought two large Hens and Chicks varieties from Lowes this past Sunday. One variety has a nice sized pup and the other variety has five plants (smaller than those in other pots offered, but they'll eventually catch up). Going to separate the pup and the plants, plant them in separate pots and start to acclimate them to the outside (since they were most likely greenhouse grown. When ready to be put into the beds, will have (hopefully) seven plants for the price of two.... my favorite thing.

Question: is it too early to plant a tree from a local nursery that is still dormant?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Stu . While it is dormant is best time . Just pack the earth at the surface so no freeze on the roots ...
I did not have time today to look at the garden products , I usually browse for an hour if nothing else ..

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks juhur. Will try to get to a nursery this weekend. They have those self watering bags to go around the tree as well. Suppose to be rainy next week, so though about getting it in this weekend.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yay! Crocus blooming and lots of Daffodils with big fat buds!

I found a great youtube video yesterday on starting root cuttings. I'd post the link, but I haven't figured out yet how to do that on this new computer.

Hi juhur...yeah, I remember the smiley ^_^
I saw that post about the moth. Pretty cool!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Okay, let's see if this works (crossing my fingers).

This is a video on how to do root cuttings. Although the lady is rooting a plant I've never heard of, my main interest is to take root cuttings from Cardinal Flower as I've read they'll bloom the first year that way.

Edited to say: The link wasn't working so I deleted it. The sound was coming on, but the video wasn't.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2014 9:42 PM

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Please see last post.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2014 9:43 PM

Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

My latest finds on a walk around the garden yesterday:

1. Spinach in my cold frame; I seeded some lettuce, radishes and mach Saturday.

2. Daffodil buds

3, 4, & 5. Crocus in various beds. so cheerful!

Thumbnail by martyR Thumbnail by martyR Thumbnail by martyR Thumbnail by martyR Thumbnail by martyR
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Did some cleaning this weekend of the stuff left for 'winter interest'..... not of any interest 2 feet under the snow.
Seeing a lot of green just starting - Asters, some monardia, poppies, scabiosa, sedum, dianthus, irises, drumstick allium and others. Spring is definitely underway. First winter for all but the irises. Much more not yet showing signs, but with the snow blanketing during the sub-zero temps, I expect most will. Most interested to see if the ice plants survived as they were the ones that I most questioned being zone 5.

STU

marty - made the same mistake this year with the overhanging eaves. I was too lazy to put on boots when I set them outside and just picked a spot I could get too. Moved the jugs with poppies to a better place.
My fingers are itching to get dirty. Maybe tomorrow if it's not raining.

Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

hello all....

I've been away from gardening for a few years due to illness but I'm back at it this Spring...spent today pruning with a reciprocating saw (!) and DH convinced me to burn my old abandoned kitchen garden....lots to do but one step at a time.

Missed the company of other gardeners so put Dave's Garden subscription on my 'to do' list. Hope to renew some Upper Midwest connections.

Anyone doing Nursery Road Trips this year?

Catherine

Thumbnail by jerseyridgearts
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi and Welcome Back to gardening, Catherine!
What a beautiful picture...the colors are wonderful! Your garden must be gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing many more pics.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well almost , Hyacinth , saying ,thinking about it ,,
Salvia seedlings potted up ,, saying any day now ! We Are Ready !!! 1, 2, 3, Bloom !^_^

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm still waiting for the seeds to sprout in my balcony greenhouse; almost 2 weeks and still nothing.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Asking from forgetfulness ; frogymom What are the seeds that are suppose to be seedlings? Here's a sunflower Surprise and some Bulbs

More seedlings on the end

This message was edited Apr 8, 2014 7:05 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Radishes: Early Scarlet Globe, French Breakfast and a "gourmet blend"
Mixed color Petunias, Mixed color French Dwarf Double Marigold and Petite Orange Marigold

I bought one of the mini greenhouses at Big Lots for $30, got the planters at Dollar Tree for $1 each and the seeds were 4/$1, also at Dollar Tree.

Thumbnail by frogymon
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Froggy. Got the same greenhouse at Menard's for $20. Going to use it for my orchids inside to try and increase the humidity.

Not getting too hot during a sunny day or too cold at night?
Little scillas blooming everywhere along with crocus and snowdrops. Epimediums are just starting to send up flower buds. Should have a daff or two blooming in a couple of days. And got my hands dirty today - finally! Lots of heaving of plants but the foliage on the various Heucheras looks pretty decent since it was protected for an eternity by snow.This will be the week of the aching back as my body gets adjusted.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well here's the Hyacinth today , Wondering where the others went ... oops ..

This message was edited Apr 11, 2014 9:26 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

so pretty. after a week of child care it was great to get out into the garden today . I raked the beds, cut down dried stalks and admired all the bulbs coming up. I have some hyacinths too but they are very small still, Some really pretty daffodils, and some seedlings in the cold frame! hope to get my peas in this weekend...oops there's just tomorrow!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well it will be nice this evening , But who gardens on Saturday evenings anymore or back when . lol
I picked some Nettle and Burdock for tea today , ate a garden Onion , Roots, Berries, and, Herbs it is . ^_^
Off to a really slow start I am .. I will get carrots and lettuce in Thursday I hope , It all is what is sometimes ...
Zinnia under bottles , Wednesday night a freeze may mean all over again .. ?
Not looking like a super bloom year so far , but who knows .. Guess the weather , Guess the plants ? not )

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

We had really HEAVY hail late this morning! It started with thunder & lightning and then all of a sudden the hail came crashing down. It only lasted a few minutes, though.

Any of you have hail today?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi ya Nuts )Sunny , Breezy , 78 degrees ,,, Not Here!!!^_^

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

nuts -- I think most of the hail was north.

friends in McHenry got hammered as did a gal in Carpentersville... we were fine down here... just heard the thunder and saw the pitch black clouds to the north.

We had a gorgeous day, albeit windy.

No rain here yesterday. Warm and breezy with intermittent sun. I think our rain comes tonight with the cold front. More spring cleanup yesterday (yea!) but the ole body is paying me back today. Daffs opened up yesterday with the warmth. Virginia bluebell foliage is up with buds but still a little ways from fully blooming. I'm sure the weather this week will put things on hold.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Yestrerday was warm, but overcast, then windy in the afternoon until sunset. Today started out partly partly cloudy, then the rain started around noon and has been intermitant since then.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

frogy... gonna be chilly the next few days... not looking forward to the "into the 20's" mornings.... yard work will be put on hold for a few days... got a few plants moved into new spots before the temps plummeted and rain started. ~ It was actually balmy this morning.

Nuts -- I know I mentioned this before... But the state will be plowing [grading the land] behind my home, where i have a lot of plants.... You are not too far from me... I have a lot of Wild Bergamot [Bee balm Monarda] tons of Huskers Red, ditch lilies galore ... and others.... if you are interested, lemme know.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

1/2 " of snow here this morning, sigh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.