Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

Does anyone have chinaberry seed you
could share ? melia spp

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Isn't it invasive in your area?
Seems like the most cost-effective strategy might be to just wait for a
seedling to show up in your yard?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Eliiminate a dozen invaders on public land for each one you grow on purpose...

Wow I didn't expect such a politicized response !

There are no chinaberry trees in this area.
If there were I would go pick a seed.

The request still stands, a simple yes, if anyone
is so inclined. If you don't have or don't want to share,
thanks for at least reading.

Sharing doesn't necessarily mean providing something without attendant thoughts...and anyone is welcome to ignore mine. I will state my case, nonetheless.

One of the benefits of participation on the DG threads is to pass on information. There are some that add politics to it, but there are some that are simply interested in NOT furthering well-known problems. Notification of a species' bad qualities is a responsibility of knowledgeable gardeners - not a political statement or an indictment. Telling someone who wants Castor Bean that Ricinus communis sp. has poisonous parts is just the right thing to do, especially if small children may encounter its seeds.

Chinaberry is known to be growing in Dallas County, TX which is apparently nearby where you garden. You can probably find all you want there, if you are intent on growing it. No doubt there are plenty of individuals with it on their property willing to share this with you.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/county?state_name=Texas&statefips=48&symbol=MEAZ
http://www.texasinvasives.org/professionals/assessment_detail.php?symbol=MEAZ

This species (Melia azedarach) is an invasive exotic pest plant in many parts of the southern United States, including a TX rating. Although it has some perceived ornamental traits, that doesn't conflict with the nature of the problem.

You may wish to grow it. Other private property owners nearby may not wish to have such an imminent infestation.

Worse, public properties (less well managed) have no defense. I'd wish my already meager stretched state and local tax dollars be spent on positive things, not having to try to do battle against this - and other equally troublesome species - invading. I also believe that the best solution to any of these issues is for all those interested in plants to achieve the results without external intervention and potentially oppressive law-making. OK, that sounds a little political.

I work for a municipal parks department, and nothing is worse than having to spend funds eliminating pest plants that have strayed into the park land from less than responsible adjoining property owners. It is entirely avoidable, because there are hundreds and hundreds of plants that are NOT pests that aren't even being used in gardens.

Like you, I hope there are plenty of readers out there.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

That's a revelation. John, I really didn't know you felt that passionately about invasives, but, since you're fully out with it, I will rethink my position. I've been a dispassionate supporter of your position for quite some time, but have really never given much thought about it. Sort of how I think about God. I knew it was a cause pushed by many horticultural heavy hitters, but the solution seemed so far away. Kind of like how a solution to climate change seems. I tried to be responsible and not plant a known invasive, but I'm just a horticultural sinner like the rest of you. Still, I want to do the right thing and do right by the planet. It's a good reminder -- thanks.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh, BajaBlue, no, I don't have any Chinaberry seeds to share. Sorry. What do you like about this plant?

I appreciate all the comments, really !

I grew up in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. Dad started seeds and we ended
up with two full beautiful full green shade trees . They were planted approximately
in 1960, and are still there. The birds and bees LOVE the blooms, which are
beautiful and fragrant.

Many songbirds love to build their nests in them, but the oasis of thick shade
they make in hot old Texas makes them valuable, although I know many
consider them "trash trees".

I have a healthy respect for invasives. We have a large
piece of land, and when the wildflowers finish blooming
in spring, everything gets mown .

I originally asked because I saw some listed in a seed
catalog for about $5.00 plus shipping, but I figgered
SOMEONE would have some.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

There's little bit of your dad in those trees. That's a nice story.

I appreciate the sentiments. My dad also planted - and taught us to plant - trees in central KY, though as a kid I hated having to mow around all those little conifer seedlings that so reminded him of his faraway home in Wisconsin.

I also would bet if your Dad knew then what is well-known now, he would choose a tree to plant that would create all the good things you remember, and none of the residual problems that invasive exotics inevitably create.

We can all do our part now, while fondly remembering our forebears who inspired us.

This discussion has evoked memories of my Grandma in Louisiana,
Daddy's mom.

She didn't speak English, nor did I speak or understand French then.

But I have wonderful memories of
going to visit her in summer.

I inherited my love of gardening and keeping chickens, turkeys,
ducks, and other critters from her.

She had chinaberries, where the chickens would roost at night.

Thanks to yall for bringing those memories to the
front of my mind !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.