Put yourself in my shoes...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

...well, at least in my recliner. Here's the view from our sun room, which is where I often end up after supper and a glass of wine. Last night I was contemplating the shape of this white pine, which of course led my thoughts to the recent thread where we chatted about their tendency to break apart from heavy snow and ice. This one has never suffered any significant branch breakage, while another about 50' away seems to shed branches every winter/spring from wet snow. We don't have the ice that y'all get in the south, but March (and into April) is notorious for wet snow. Anyhow, I'm wondering if pines that have been weeviled (?) aren't more susceptible to branch breakage due to their altered growth? That would explain the difference between the two pines in my back yard.

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Defects in the branches - whether insect induced or otherwise - would certainly point toward increased susceptibility to snow or ice damage, even wind.

When I next have access to the images, I'll show some aspect damage to conifers that could also explain some differences that can be experienced. Which direction precipitation is coming from can contribute greatly to the harm caused - and I don't mean just falling out of the sky...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice pinus Pseudo. You rarely see one that tall in our area look that nice!

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Aww shucks, Sequoiadendron, that's the first time anyone has complimented my pinus. Thank you.

Sounds like more than a bit of envy...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

VV is right, I do have pinus envy :)

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm peeved at the pinus. Yesterdays snow did a number on this P. strobus, which also suffered significant damage following last May's 9" snow fall. This is the tree I mentioned earlier as having deformed growth, which I speculated is causing its current demise. There's not a whole lot left of this pine.

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo

That is nature's art...s/he is the best editor.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Your tree is getting character :)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Great for climbing now.....lots of foot-holds...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.