Are you planting any new lilies this year?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

If so, which ones?

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Lilium Bellsong (a longiflorum Oriental cross) from Faraway Flowers:
http://www.farawayflowers.com/bellsong/

Lilium Blueberry Crush (an Oriental Trumpet cross) from Faraway Flowers:
http://www.farawayflowers.com/blueberry-crush/

And although I got it last year it was so irresistable I ordered more:

Lilium Pearl Lorraine (a tetra Asiatic) from Faraway Flowers:
http://www.farawayflowers.com/pearl-lorraine/

I ordered Prince Promise, Anastasia (which I already have) and speciosum Uchida (I have that too) from B&D Lilies.

I also ordered White Henryi and Auratum Platyphyllum from Old House Gardens

I was very bad this year, I ordered five lilium martagon alba from the Old House Garden fall sale and was sent 8!

This message was edited Feb 18, 2014 7:02 PM

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

1 Bellsong b/c Donna has it and 1 Pink Heaven; both LOs which are 100% successful in my z9a TX garden and both which are from Faraway Flowers.

I also have short asiatics that do well, but for the most part it is hit or miss. So I'm watching what I presently have grow/multiply before I renew this obsession.

The short noids they sell at HD have also been good growers but like I said, have put the reigns on lilium obsession for now.

Pic is Triumphator and White Triumphator

Thumbnail by vossner
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Gee. Mine are pretty hohum.

Cali
Pearl Stacey
Robert Griesbach
Playtime (reordered as I killed it last spring)

I received the following last fall (Oct) and planted them but have not seen them grow yet:
Bell Song
Rio Negro
Ice Dancer
Muscadette
Conca'D'Or (reorder same as playtime)
Gizmo (reorder same as playtime(

This message was edited Feb 20, 2014 1:08 PM

where did you find Cali, I want Cali!

Gizmo has been a good one for me. Muscadette and conca dor have been busts and I have tried more than once.

I swear I just posted here. Oh well. The computer pixies are alive an well.

I got Cali from Faraway Flowers but they appear to have a new sight and the pixies are right at home there. While they have my address and email they say I have never ordered despite having one outstanding order and having ordered from them in 2011, 2012, 2014.

I tried to order one more lily and it said it couldn't ship to me. They also say they send from Minnesota and Maine but I have always ordered from Maine or so I thought.

Oh, and they don't show every having had Cali

Faraway had Cali on their website but Ramona informed it wasn't avail. this season. I thought that perhaps you'd gotten it from another source. Would LOVE to have that large, super pastel pink flower in my garden, right next to some bright pinks.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have had a couple of FABULOUS phone calls from Bob Gibson at B&D Lilies (because of all the fraud my credit card changed and today he called because we got a number wrong) and I succumbed again. A couple of Silk Road and Mr. Cas, which looks like White Henryi on steroids.

I've got to tell you - he is the most delightful man. And he enjoys talking about lilies - he knows so much! I mentioned Red Alert and he was saying that the longiflorum asiatics are driving him nuts because they propagate early and vigorously. They are trying to come up and he is trying to contain them. That explains why Red Alert has been so bulletproof in my yard.

He knows where every lily comes from (Holland, Japan), and their histories and propagators, and now I know why their lilies are so sensational. He buys mostly three year bulbs. I wondered why they jump out of the ground.

And he told me the coolest story about the gentleman from whom he got the seeds of speciosum Uchida. This Japanese gentleman adhered to the custom that when someone sends you a present you must send one back, so Bob kept getting one set of seeds after another until he figured out that a thank you card would suffice.

What a privilege!

Donna, what a wonderful experience. You know so much about lilies where they come from and if they are heirloom etc. I wouldn't have understood half of what he was saying. You will just have to keep dropping brilliant insights here at DG to bring some of us up to speed. lol.

Vossner: I ordered Cali in January but maybe I won't get it after all. They may have listed it and then had the source fall through. I tried to order another one as long as I was 'on the line' with them about their new website (history for some people didn't make it over to the new site) and was told it was disappointingly small so I could just cancel it if I wanted. I told them as long as it was viable, I didn't care if it was small and I had to wait a year for blooms. Haven't heard back yet. Might clarify the situation with Cali at the same time.

Ramona confirmed that Cali is not available at all so she will substitute the L. Auratum bulbs in place of Cali. She has been helping a friend battling cancer (seems like so many people are in this boat these days) and her time devoted to business has suffered accordingly. I assured her that she would always be on my order list in future.

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Just received a case of Casa Blanca Oriental Lilies 16-18cm+
Anyone care to do a trade?

send me a message.
thanks

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Waiting on blubs Pearl Jessica, Pearl Melanie, Trebbiano, Elusive, Big Brother, Bonbini, Debbie, Holland Beauty, Robert Griesbach, Robert Swanson, Kushi May, Lady Alice, Lankon, Sunny Side Down, & Lilium speciosum Uchida.

My Bonbini is even more gorgeous and huge than the picture. You will love it. I also have Robert Griesbach coming. Playtime is similar to BonBini only better but it is hard to come by. Had them and killed them off. Will keep looking til I find them again.

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

I have already planted my Bulbs from B & D: Pink Perfection, Elisive, L. auratum, L. speciosum Uchida, L. speciosum Album, Bonbini, & Holland Beauty,
I'm waiting on Faraway Flowers shipment (weather has been awful in the Northeast - snowed last week) Pearl Jessica, Pearl Melanie, Trebbiano, Big Brother, Debbie (wonder why I ordered that one), Robert Griesbach, Robert Swanson, Kushi Maya, Lady Alice & Sunny Side Down.

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

So many lilies ~ and such a display when in bloom. Enjoy growing all of these beauties.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Received my Pearl Loraine and Blueberry Crush a couple of days ago from Ramona, along with a gift asiatic and a check for the balance. The only one I am missing is Bellsong, hence the refund, but I cannot complani because I got another LO (yes?), Prince Promise, from B&D. I really applaud Ramona.

I was wondering what I was going to do with my many bulbs (B&D sent me SIX Prince Promis when I ordered only three) so I decided to truly do it up and plant the three bulb sets in close proximity, as I did when I ordered six Sorbonnes from B&D last year. I just have to put my Uchidas in the ground.

Most of my Bluestone order came today and wow their plants are fantastic (and most, 50% off). My Romence order came yesterday. Spectacular. Bluestone aggregated orders I had been making since, literally, December. I was so thrilled with my five viburnums from Classic Viburnums that I ordered two more. They are two carlesi compactums that are new cultivars and haven't even been released to the trade yet.

If I do keel over I'll keel over with a smile on my face.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Laughing, Donna Mack. Well, laughing with you and not at you. I know that feeling.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Cville_Gardener, I think that's wonderful!

Me too. Wish I had the room. But I am pleased with my new lilies and dahlias. I am going to start planting lilies in closer clumps now that I have them in many parts of the garden to achieve the beautiful fullness that I see in other gardeners.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.