Question re: Red Star sex link chickens... :>

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm looking to place an order for Red Star Sex Link chicks, and I have a question....

The chicks are a cross between a Rhode Island Red rooster and a Delaware hen, producing an excellent egg layer. My question is, will the [next generation] of chicks be excellent egg layers too? I know they'll loose the
'sex link' characteristic, but I'm more concerned about whether egg production characteristics will hold true if I have a Red Star sex link rooster (from this batch of chicks) mate with a Red Star sex link hen (also from this batch of chicks). ....I hope I explained that clearly. :-S

Glenda

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The first cross is a hybrid just like a say, tomato plant.
A hybrid X a hybrid could turn out anything. It won't resemble the parents.

Richmond, TX

I would not expect the next generation to be as amazingly productive as the sex links, but as all the breeds involved are good egg layers, the next generation should be too. I will be interested to learn what you get!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This might be it.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1349870/

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

It's ok if the [chicks of the chicks] don't resemble their parents, appearance-wise.
I'm wondering will the chicks of the sex link chicks I buy, retain an excellent laying ability?
...I apologize if this is a dumb question.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Porkpal!! :-) I'll keep you posted......

Bridgewater, ME

I agree with porkpal,those are all good egg layers

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Well, I made a decision....

Because I want to incubate eggs to hatch my own chicks in the future, and I want to keep the excellent characteristics of the breed, I've decided that my new flock will be Rhode Island Reds, a good, dependable, time-tested breed. This way I'll know what I'm going to get in future chickens.

Thanks friends!!
:) Glenda

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Good choice.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Good luck with you new flock! Rhode Island Reds are cool.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Years ago, I had 2 RIR hens. Their names were Eunice and Ethel, and they were the nosiest hens I've ever seen. I couldn't work on a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g without them sticking their beaks into my business, trying to see "what's going on??" They kept me laughing all the time....
I ordered 33 females and 2 males today! They'll ship March 10th.... Can't wait! :)

Richmond, TX

In my experience, if you order 35 pullets you will get 3 or 4 roosters anyway...

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

The odds are good, Pork Pal. LOL

I'm getting them from Mc Murray Hatchery again; just like last time. Last time I ordered 33 females and 2 males, and that's exactly what I got! Imagine MY surprise! ;) lol
Guess we'll see how well the folks do in the "sexing dept" this time around! :-D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.