Building the EXCITEMENT for bloom season 2014!!!

Cherryvale, KS

I can hardly wait!! Sharing pictures from 2013! Kisses from Kansas to all my BIF! (best iris friends) Kisses from Kansas! See Nickys Iris on facebook also Iris Lovers! pic Babylon Queen

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Wester Ambience!!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Wright's Flight

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Yes!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Trumped!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Toucan Tango

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

This is a picture that shows my insanity!! This will be my third bloom season at this location. Ran out of room in our yard, so bought 5 lots at auction!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
South Hamilton, MA

Amazing thing to do. good luck with them all.

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to buy more ground just to plant iris !!looks good ! If the snow ever melts, maybe we'll have bloom in 2014 !...Arlyn

This message was edited Feb 14, 2014 12:58 PM

Cherryvale, KS

Tobacco Chew Happy Friday BIFs!! Hope your snow melts@@spring!! LOL I just hope I sell more $ than I buy this year.

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Concord, NC

My Favorite Iris from 2013 Was OYEZ, I just love the veins on it its really amazing, we got it from willowbend in 2012 and it bloomed 2013. we have it planted at the bottom of the front yard in front of two big clumps of INDIAN CHIEF. Our 2ND favorite one from 2013 was this TALL BURGANDY NOID that came up all by itself in the Indian Chief and towered over it like it's guardian at 52" tall. We got the Indian Chief as a large flat of cut fans from a women In Ohio 3 years ago and this one that came up this year as Tall Burgandy Noid was one that she accidently pulled next to the indian chief that was also one of her grandmothers'. It's similar to the Red Douglas, but much taller and larger bloom.

Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom
South Hamilton, MA

Better form than 'The Red Douglas'.

Concord, NC

I Agree, and Also we had never seen an Iris So tall that was an Historic besides ALTA CALIFORNIA, which also bloomed for us the first time this year after we got it from an elderly couple a few blocks over from us. It also topped out at 52" tall! those are the only 2 we have that tall historic or modern.

Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom
Concord, NC

CREOLE BELLE Nicholls 1934

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Concord, NC

last ones..KENTUCKY COAL 1984 and NIGHTFALL 1942 BY Hall are tied as the 4th Favorites of mine 2013 after Creole Belle as my 3rd Favorite.

Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom
Cherryvale, KS

This is Butterfly Baby, one of a few historics that I grow. It is feeling like spring here! 60 degrees.

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Tom Johnson

Thumbnail by NickysIris
South Hamilton, MA

No spring for a long time. Plenty of snow even if the temperature is up later in the week. We are having our regional hybridizer's meeting this week end so we will have a great time talking plants.

Concord, NC

Your BUTTERFLY BABY is Absolutely Fantastic Nicky!! I had not heard of it before, it is pretty rare! here is the link for it http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/131973/ Its From 1966 By Herd. The Veining on it is Spectactular! I have one coming this summer thats similar called Stripped Butterfly thats an old arilbred but I dont think its as nice as yours, but very similar color, veining, and characteristics!

Cherryvale, KS

It actually sells pretty well! for being an oldie!! Here is a better picture. Happy Friday to all!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Brook Flower, another of my oldies!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I brought some heirloom irises to Florida to grow them up a bit before sharing them with family and I must say the foliage is looking pretty good. The only things blooming are my hibiscus and poinsettias.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

Nickisiris,
Your Toucan Tango looks very different from mine. I purchased mine from Scheiners. It is one of my streaked favorites.

Edited to add that no flowers are streaked the same.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2014 11:16 PM

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

I have these blooming so far already...we're in south-central Texas, and our season starts early.

Dauntless, and ??? (if anyone knows what it is, feel free to say. :~D)

Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie
Cherryvale, KS

I think mine was purchased from Zebra Gardens. If you click on it, it looks more like yours in a close-up!! LOL pic Scented Wonder

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Concord, NC

HEARTBEAT AWAY by Christopherson 2002 was our first yellow iris and modern space age with it's long blue-purple horns. Although we are usually partial to the historics. I think this is our favorite yellow.

Concord, NC

INDIAN CHIEF at Sunset here in NC, May 2013.

Thumbnail by themikesmom

Love your HEARTBEAT AWAY. I have one called TRIPLE WHAMMY see first photo.

I also have a hand pollinated seedling that passed on the horns.

I am looking forward to the blooms of all my iris seedling. Many bloomed last year, the est should bloom this year. Likewise daylily seedlings.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Cherryvale, KS

Sunrise Promenade!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Spring Madness!!! It is getting closer!!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
(Zone 7a)

You folks with blooms already are making me crazy! Lol I have a couple more months for mine so I'll have to be content looking at yours.

South Hamilton, MA

same here I.pumila blooms in April. We should get the reticulata by then also if the snow ever leaves.

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

I also have these blooming right now...Dauntless, Celebration Song, and Drama Queen. And I've learned that the blue/purple ones I posted earlier are "Grandma's Blue Flag".

Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie
(Zone 7a)

Very pretty!

South Hamilton, MA

Last year's bloom:

SDB Lemon Chill

Thumbnail by irisMA
Concord, NC

@Blooma, thanks for the compliment! Both Your TRIPPLE WHAMMY and My HEARTBEAT AWAY, are both Children of SKY HOOKS, I believe, from Osborne 1979. It has the lovely palest sky blue on the beard and also sky blue horns recieved it from BlueJ in Nebraska two years ago.

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Concord, NC

CALLIOPE'S DREAM from Ladislav Muska, is our Favorite Modern Space Age. It has the most wonderful fragrance of Grapefruit Citrus. I have smelled Orange Citrus, or Lemon scented irises before, but never Grapefruit fragrance, it is really unique. one of the first irises we ever ordered from Sheri at Blue-J.

Concord, NC

IrisMA's Very Pretty SDB LEMON CHILL reminds me of this ancient MTB historic we grow that gets about 18-21 inches, that was here when we moved in in 2006 called SHERWIN WRIGHT. It blooms longer than any other iris we have from ML Season to Very Very Late Season. last pic shows all the papery spathes from the bloomed out mostly sweet iris and and Alcazsr with SHERWIN WRIGHT still blooming till the daylilies start opening up.

Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom
South Hamilton, MA

A long bloom season is handy.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I shouldn't have looked at these. Now I'm itching to plant some new Iris. I've tried to narrow it down, but not having much luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.