Break it to me gently, what is wrong w/ this oak?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I can't remember which oak it is. It was planted in 2011, the year of the drought from Hell in my area and it suffered a lot. It has grown, but yesterday when I went to prune it, I noticed these awful lesions. What is it? How to fix?

thanks

Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner
(Zone 7a)

Possibly a lightning strike. Wait until new growth starts to see what the damage has done.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Looks more like a canker disease of some sort.

Resin

It ended being a rainy afternoon, so I spent it reading my old garden journals. The tree was planted in Fall 2008, and it is quercus michauxii, aka swamp chestnut oak. The tree probably got less water than it likes during the first 2 years and then when we suffered the drought from hell in 2011, it became really susceptible to anything.

I looked up cankers and that seems rather similar to what I have initially observed. When the weather improves, I will take better and more detailed pics.

If I am readying correctly, it seems this is a fatal condition. Any comments?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Not necessarily imminently fatal, but not good - it will certainly shorten its life.

Surprised it's only 5 years planted, it looks older than that!

Resin

U r right, it is older than that. I had forgotten that it was 5-6 ft tall when I planted it, so possibly 8 yrs or a little more?

took some more pics. I pressed against damage and there were no soft spots. After DH pruned tree, it looks better.

Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh boy, I don't know. It might heal just fine, but I'd be a bit worried that as this tree gets larger and develops more crown mass, it could break at this diseased section. I'm not an arborista and this is purely conjecture on my part, but I'd be inclinded to let it go. I've got several diseased native cherry trees on my lot that have experienced this. Besides being a bit of an eyesore, I think there might be safety concern as well. Yes, if I were a flower I'd be a pansy.

Dallas, TX

Just stumbled on this thread and thought I'd send you a link to Howard the Dirt Doctor Garrett's 'Sick Tree Treatment'.

But first, here's one possible remedy.

'Physical injuries to trunks and limbs should be treated with Tree Goop. Here is the formula:

TREE GOOP: 1/3 of each of the following mix in water: rock phosphate, natural diatomaceous earth, manure compost. Slop it on the tree. Reapply after rains.
Note: fireplace ashes can be substituted for the rock phosphate. '

And then, here's a tree-tise or the long version:

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Sick-Tree-Treatment_vq130.htm

Don't know if any of this will help. Probably can't hurt.

Good that you bumped this for me. I was just thinking that my tree was looking much better after we selectively pruned it. I will post pic later. I read ur link w/ great interest but requires additional reading. As to your goop, we have diatomaceous we use for pool, wonder if that will work.

Tks all 4 ur comments

Dallas, TX

Do NOT use the diatomaceous earth used for pools. It's different than the diatomaceous earth used for gardening. Don't ask me how or why. Read about it on dirtdoctor.com.

ok, thanks. I don't know that I've seen DE at garden centers. but, I'm sure I can find it

Dallas, TX

I think all of the garden centers (and big box stores) in Dallas area sell DE so I'm sure that you should be able to find some in your area also.

tks for the tip. had gotten side-tracked working on patio planters but it's on the list.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.