Begonias in Bloom

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

It would be nice if we could start sharing pictures of our begonia plants in bloom. A close up of the plant and a closeup of the bloom.

Let's see what we can come up with.

This is Black Truffle and Black Truffle's Bloom

Thumbnail by Debsroots Thumbnail by Debsroots
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Deb, they are lovely.

The cane stems had an abundance of blooms for a very long time. The rex blooms are much less significant and don't come close to the beauty of the foliage, so I included some of them as well.

At a quick glance I did not see photos of the tuberous picotees. Considering they are overwintering all over the house, I hope they live to see warm weather.

Marcia

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

What's the name of the first one?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I like the dots on the blooms Deb. That is pretty cool.

And the begonias in the window boxes are very nice growing Cathy.

Here are a few blooming for me now.

A small Green Dreams (I have two more but too close to the lights to get a good photo and too lazy to take them down), Mrs. Ludwig (first time I remember it blooming and I've had it since 2006), Plum Paisley (rexes always seem to be blooming on and off), Whirlwind Dancer (got this last year and it is a fairly new hybrid), and my own hybrid (collected seed off my maculata a couple of years ago)

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

A few more.

Penny Lahn (at least I think this is it has tiny blooms and narrow small dark green leaves), Virginia Jens (a hybrid from crassicaulis) gets very large stems and leaves, another shot of Penny, another shot of VA. Jens with leaves and my hybrid next to it, last is Esparanza.

Edited to match description with pictures. How do the pictures get out of order anyway?

This message was edited Feb 9, 2014 11:46 PM

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I cannot recall the names of the the begonias in the first photo. I've seen them where people have identified them in online photos, but begonias, like a lot of other plants are difficult to ID. You may see three separate plants that look the exactly the same with three different names from three different growers.

I hate it when I buy a plant and the tag says rex begonia without a name. The only ones I'm sure of are the ones ordered from the grower.

Marcia,

Your first photo is probably Lana (the green cane) and Don Miller (the silver cane/shrub). Both great growers except Don Miller is a mildew magnet in winter in cool conditions.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I guess that explains the trouble rooting in water where it is really cool. Usually begonias prefer cool to too much (dry) warmth. Hard to control winter indoor temps.

Rex leaves in water a really interesting. No roots at the stem, but at the base of the petiole.

Sounds like you are trying propagation with the water method. Keep the water covered with plastic wrap, foil, or a baggie over the entire plant and water to keep pathogens out. You c an keep a rooted leaf with babies in water for months this way but I don't recommend it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.