goldfinches

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I finally have goldfinches. I looked in my bird book. I have lesser green-backed goldfinches. Is that what everyone has here in Phx?

Phoenix, AZ

That's what I have.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Same here. It took me almost a month of putting out nyger before they showed up, but now I get them everyday, all day. Here's one of the males sitting in my nectarine tree in the front yard.

Thumbnail by frogymon
Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

My male sure is gutsy. He drives away the house finches and they are twice his size! I also have a female, so I'm hoping . . .

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

We have the same. Seems like hundreds in the summer, just a few now.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a regular seed feeder next to the nyger sock, but lower and that seems to keep the house finches occupied so that the sock feeder is almost used exclusively by the goldfinches. As I type this, there are 5 goldfinches on the feeder.

Mesa, AZ

The male has such a lovely song!

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Susie: the song is not so lovely blaring in my bedroom window at 2am. Stupid, horny mockingbird.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Has anyone noticed fewer mockingbirds? We used to have them but now we have curve-bill thrashers, who also sing pretty, but what happened to the mockingbirds? Did the thrashers take their place and push them out? Susie, help me out here.

Gilbert, AZ

I agree with you, Judy. Fewer mockingbirds and more thrashers

Phoenix, AZ

No change at Casa de Fish

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

You can have mine!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.