Trading/selling with local nurseries

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Am I the only one who has traded or sold plants to local nurseries? I just traded rooted stapelia cuttings and one really nice specimen of Stapelia asterias to Harper's in Mesa for 3 unmarked stapeliads in one gallon pots. After repotting, I have enough "leftovers" to trade or sell to others. I will be taking some cuttings to Baker's, probably next month, to trade or sell, having discussed it with them back in September.

Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon
Mesa, AZ

That is aweseome! Never really heard of doing trades, but why not?

thanks for sharing
Susie

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Susie, you're welcome.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hmmmmmmm, I've traded my figs to restaurants, but that's it.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

That's great, Frogymon. Did not do that myself but I think it is a great idea.
Would you please tell me what is the name of the middle plant from the first picture ?
I love it and I do not remember seeing it at the swap.

Thanks

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Rodica, all four of the plants were unmarked, so all I know is that they're stapeliads and until they bloom, I won't be able to identify them.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I don't know if it was true or the polite way to turn me down, but when I tried to trade/sell to one nearby nursery, I was told ag regulations prevented them from doing that. They said they only bought from licensed growers. Interestingly, I have never seen low quality or diseased plants at this nursery.

Conversely, I am aware of another nearby nursery that trades with friends and I have noticed diseased plants. I lost all the pecans that I bought from this nursery and am suspicious of an oak I got there.

One thing may not have anything to do with the other, but it sure seems coincidental. Additionally, the situation on the 2nd place may be strictly related to lax sanitation.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I just realized frogymom is in AZ and I'm in TX. However, I had always perceived FL, AZ, TX & CA as having the more stringent ag regulations.

Pls disregard my posting if you are only interested in AZ area.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

vossner, it seems their issue may be due to sanitation not to trading and it behooves you to stay clear of them. That being said, I know a few other nurseries that are open to the idea of trading or buying from locals for things the can't get from their usual wholesalers.

Gilbert, AZ

Great idea! I'd love to trade some "babies" to a nursery..... shoot, I'd just be glad if they took 'em off my hands for free so I don't have to throw them away when I clear out areas!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Crista, have you saved any for the Spring Swap?

Gilbert, AZ

Do we have a spring swap date yet? I'll be in and out of town this spring - hope it's a weekend I'm here!!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Nothing set yet.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Crista: put a post on Freecycle or Craig's List and just give them away. Works every time for me.

Rene

Gilbert, AZ

Good idea Rene!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.