reposting request because I haven't had any replies

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I want to grow some Burpee Super Sauce Tomatoes this year, but have found that the seeds are only sold online. Price $6.95 for 25 seeds + $4.95 shipping. $12 for 25 seeds is just too pricey for me, and I don't need any others from them. So--- does anyone have a few-maybe 4-6 seeds that they would sell or trade to me? I have for trade Big Beef Hyb., Bush Beefsteak , Abraham Lincoln Heirloom, & Mortgage Lifter Heirloom. These are all from packs that I have bought for growing this year- none that I have saved. I can only spare a few- like 5 or so of each. But I really would like to find the Super Sauce seeds. Thanks--

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Jo, I saw your first post but I have no seeds of that Burpee one, actually almost all of my tomato friends dropped Buree many years ago. Prices and shipping costs way too high, with few decent varieties, etc.

There are plenty of great varieties that can be used for sauce, whether using dedicated paste varieties which I'm not suggsting, but rather some great tasting meaty varieties with low seed count and great taste, which is not true for most paste varieties.

Carolyn

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Carolyn- I may go ahead and order some just out of curiosity-!

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

There is a thread from a year ago about Super Sauce tomatoes. Maybe you could look there for someone who could trade their extra seeds with you.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293318/

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

JoParrott, I tried the Super Sauce tomatoes last year. I got them as part of a trade (if I recall correctly) and had trouble with germination. As these seeds were planted out in the same flat with several other varieties of tomato seeds, and I had no problems as all with the others, I felt the seeds I had might have been part of a bad batch. So I sucked it up and ordered more from Burpee. I did get the need seeds to germinate with no problem, but once I got the tomatoes planted out and growing I found that the flavor and production was pretty much average compared to other sauce varieties I have tried. I thought it was a cool idea but maybe Super Sauce would do better in a large pot with more fertilizer? I don't know.....

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

So, Terri, the claim that 1 tomato fills a canning jar is just hype? I thought it would make a good slicing tomato since I like the dryness of Romas on a sandwich. Maybe I just don't need it! Thanks

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

The actual tomato might fill a jar depending on the size of the jar......

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

JoParrott, it sounds to me that you are looking for a meaty tomato without much gel/seeds? If so, try a heart variety. I find that they fit that bill with excellent taste. Kosovo, and Wes are ones that come to mind.

Jen

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

That's right, jenhill- my list this year is:
Big Beef
Bush Beefsteak
Mortgage Lifter
Goliath (OP)
Joe's Pink Oxheart
Abraham Lincoln
Sweet Ozark Orange
Most of them are repeats, but Oxheart & Ozark will be new for me.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

IF that is the type of tomato you are looking for try a Great White also ,, All meat , & Beef
A nice one is a solid chunk of tomato, Like only about 8 seeds in the nicest I grew .
Low producer for me though .. Taste was dry to me , rather different ,, I like my reds better , Still a nice Beefsteak type tomato ..

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Jersey Devil might be a good alternative to Super Sauce. I'm growing it this year and I've heard good things....

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

OK- I have satisfied my curiosity- I just got an email from Burpee for free shipping- no minimum through midnite tonight EST- so I ordered a package of Super Sauce tomato seeds. Whatever the outcome I will have tried them.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I understand! I'm the same way with roses....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.