In bloom in winter?

Arlington, TX

Mine don't seem to take a winter rest.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Decatur, GA

Very nice. Do they bloom all winter? Where do you keep them?

Arlington, TX

No bloom is sporadic. They are reported as summer growers but they live indoors under t5. Lights.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have T5 lights but have not tried Avonia there. How often do you water them? I had one before that I tried outdoors on my patio and it flowered right after I bought it in the late spring and then it promptly rotted. I really tried not to over water so I wondered what you do with the watering.

Arlington, TX

Well I have them in mostly decomposed granite with some pumice and very little organic material. I water lightly pretty often so the caudex does not dry up but I water more deeply when they start to put out leaves and flowers. I have no schedule I just watch the plants. Also, I give them some weak fertilizer when they start growing more. After reading this I realize its not any help. Sorry.
Cheryl

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, it does help me a lot. I will try planting in a similar mix as yours. The mix I used before had a lot more potting soil in it. That may make the difference. Now I just need to buy a new one!

2/10/14 Just an FYI that I ordered a pink and white Avonia from Miles' To Go today.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2014 4:09 PM

Arlington, TX

If I have learned anything about mesembs and most other plants from South Africa, they don't like soil that stays wet. I am trying some lithops in pure mineral soil.

Decatur, GA

What is decomposed granite and pure mineral soil? I has seen these terms before and haven't been able to figure out where to get them. I have tried chicken scratch (decomposed granite?) but it wasn't good since it compacted easily. I would appreciate more info. Thanks, Helen.
PS I do you s/h a lot. Is that similar?

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Helen,
http://design2share.com/design2share-qa/2011/7/12/summer-project-decomposed-granite-patio.html

If you look at the above site you can see what decomposed granite looks like. My friends in our Cactus & Succulent Club often go out in the desert and find it and bring it home. We can also buy it here where they sell stone products. If we bring in a pail they will often give it to us or charge a nominal fee.
Mineral soil is what decomposed granite is: "Any soil consisting primarily of mineral (sand, silt and clay) material, rather than organic matter" per biology-online.org

Decatur, GA

Thank you Nancy for an explanation that makes sense. I guess I could make some with my Georgia clay, famous for its red color, and sand.
Helen

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

You could but you might have to add some pieces of rock that are a little bigger than sand.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I have a little one that hasn't bloomed yet. Do you know how old they need to be before they bloom?

Thumbnail by momlady
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow, your soil looks wet. The last ones I had rotted from water and I hardly watered at all! I just don't understand these Avonia plants or any of the Mesembs for that matter!

Hi Nancy,

The soil is actually much drier than it looks. I barely water this little guy at all. In its off season I water a very small amount every two or three weeks, and in the active season I water a smallish amount once a week. It's my least-watered plant. Of course, it doesn't grow much at all - it's little dreadlocks are slowly getting a little longer and that's it.

Arlington, TX

In mineral soil I water some weekly and when growing I water every couple days to get them to flower. If you withhold water too much the caudex can shrivel up.

Interesting! The caudex hasn't shriveled up, but it hasn't flowered, either. I'll be a little more generous with the water and see what happens.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

That's my problem. I think I've talked to Cheryl (newtonsthirdlaw) about it before. I just can't seem to water at the right times. They either dry up from lack of water or rot from too much water! Grrrr! I currently have white and pink flowering ones. I got them about 2 months ago and have not watered at all. Of course it is 110º here now and I'm afraid to water now. I did mist them this morning but that is it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.