gourd bowl with dog

Decatur, GA

Someone gave me this big gourd bowl. It was already cut when I got it. I am making plans about how to decorate it. When I got it home I couldn't resist putting my little dog TBone inside for a picture. He was wary of the situation, not exactly scared but more concerned. He didn't know what to make of sitting inside the gourd. He might have been thinking, 'please don't put the top on'!! Too cute though!

Thumbnail by helenchild
Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Too cute! TBone, you are an intrepid explorer! My chihuahua Scarlet would be smitten with you.
Helenchild, you may be onto something, natural pet beds. My cats would probably happily curl up inside that giant gourd!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Too cute is right! And the pet bed might be an idea. My cat would love that sitting on it's side with a cushion of some sort. Maybe some dried, twisted vines of some sort as a steadying base to keep the gourd from rocking. Very cool!

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Hey, my cats love to curl up in a closed box with a hole cut in for entry/exit. So, this gourd, with the lid on and a hole in the side and a cushion inside would be great! with the outside painted , Wow.! I am going to try it. First I gotta find a giant gourd, or get seeds to grow some. Terri, I think maybe a circle of thick rope .(.I like the vine idea too.)on the bottom for stability or I have seen screw in furniture legs( in a craft video to make a dog bed from a suitcase), and you can make a stand or collar from a section of another gourd. Yay! I have a project!

Thumbnail by scarletbean Thumbnail by scarletbean Thumbnail by scarletbean
Decatur, GA

I totally agree a huge gourd with a hole (and cushion) would make a fantastic cat house. Gourds are light so a base for stability would be important. A really think piece of rope would be a great choice. You would probably have to go to a nautical source to find the rope.
The American Gourd site has sources of seed that grow true.

http://www.americangourdsociety.org

You can find sources of hand pollenated seeds on this website. I would love to see someone's home grown giant gourds!!!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Love to see the results. helenchild and scarletbean, you are so creative! What fun.

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

I will order some seeds if I can find them. It will be next year before they will be ready, unless I come across one like Helenchild did. They are available ready for crafting at several gourd sites online, however these big ole behemoths are expensive. I think there might be an art to growing these bushel and larger gourds, like the giant pumpkin growers. But, I will give it a try! And, keep ya posted.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

So... he's a gourd dog?

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh! L O L!! badumpbump!

Decatur, GA

LOL. Very good brigidily! Of course he is a gourd dog!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

LOLOLO! That was a good one ☺

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.