Cultivar of White Eggplant that's edible?

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm looking for a cultivar of White eggplant that is great for making eggplant Parmesan. I grew easter eggplant but was told its not the best tasting, I know there is a long white eggplant but again I'm not sure if it could be good tasting so I need advice.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

White eggplants may be a bit more bland, but most quite edible. I agree that the one sold as Easter Egg is usually not very palatable. Cloud nine is productive http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/68718/ as is Dourga/Casper. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62163/ I have not grown Snowy http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62165/ or Tango http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/72957/
There is mini-white for container gardening, Gretel as well as traditional egg shaped Clara and Raja

That's a huge help thank you!

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

Keith, I grew Casper last year. I was not bad but not a great producer for me.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I grew Casper last year, with very good results. Would you like some seeds? Mine are up already! (From sowing inside on a heat mat.)

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

You had better luck than I did. Out of 4 plants only got 6, must be doing something wrong. Although this was the first time ever growing eggplant. And they were transplants that I bought. So might have been several factors for poor production. but the ones I did get were very tasty.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I grew Casper for the first time last year too. It was very slow to germinate and to grow at the beginning. Then it took off in the garden and it produced more than all the other varieties.
The fruit is just beautiful. The only problem is that it doesn't keep well in the fridge as other eggplants, because the white skin will turn brown.
You just need to cook it fast (1-2 days max). The flesh is pure white and so mild/sweet taste.

This year I am trying another white variety called:
Chinese Eggplant, Hybrid Long White Angel
Here the description:
"This unique variety produces long (10-12") white eggplants, which are very tender and delicious. The upright plant with white fruits is very attractive and beautiful in the garden, which can also be grown as a decorative container plant in your backyard/doorsteps. White Chinese eggplants are very popular in Southern China for stir-fry and stuffed food. Easy to grow."
http://evergreenseeds.stores.yahoo.net/chineglonwhi.html

I grew the one Casper in a pot! I only picked what I/or my husband could cook that night, so they were always fresh. Then I saved the seeds from one of the last ones which I did not have time to cook. I can't believe that they are already up. I just started them on a heat mat.

I decided to order Gretel and give that a try.

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

drthor, I am sure you already have the eggplant seeds up and growing. do you think it might be too late to order and get some started? I take your word for these I have seen the pictures of your hard work and know you know what your talking about. And thanks for the vendors site been looking for some other seeds and they offer them.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Txtea
thanks for the nice words.
I don't think I can answer your question because I never started eggplants from seeds later than January.
Actually this year is the latest I ever started them: January 28.
I found out that with my good soil and lights, my seedlings grow really fast and vigorous, so no need to start them too early.
It doesn't hurt to try if you can grow them really fast.
Eggplants like the heat, so they might produce later in the summer if you will start them now.

This year I am trying many new Japanese/Chinese and Thai varieties.
My Japanese friend last year gave me a few seeds that she brought home from Japan (no name) ... and WOW !
The plant on itself was gorgeous: dark green with purple lines on its leaves, and the fruit was no stop. Also it was the most resistant variety to flee beetles (which it is a problem in my veggie garden). That is why I hope to discover some new Asian varieties that will produce as well.

Now, back to Casper on picture #2. You can see that this plant is loaded with fruits.
On the other pictures you can see that Casper is very productive.

Good luck.

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

drthor, Thank You, WOW very nice friend you have there. I think your are right, it is kind of late so I will try these next year, Please let us know how they did for you. Still glad to get the address for this seed company.

As always such wonderful pictures.

Quote from drthor :
Txtea
thanks for the nice words.
I don't think I can answer your question because I never started eggplants from seeds later than January.
Actually this year is the latest I ever started them: January 28.
I found out that with my good soil and lights, my seedlings grow really fast and vigorous, so no need to start them too early.
It doesn't hurt to try if you can grow them really fast.
Eggplants like the heat, so they might produce later in the summer if you will start them now.

This year I am trying many new Japanese/Chinese and Thai varieties.
My Japanese friend last year gave me a few seeds that she brought home from Japan (no name) ... and WOW !
The plant on itself was gorgeous: dark green with purple lines on its leaves, and the fruit was no stop. Also it was the most resistant variety to flee beetles (which it is a problem in my veggie garden). That is why I hope to discover some new Asian varieties that will produce as well.

Now, back to Casper on picture #2. You can see that this plant is loaded with fruits.
On the other pictures you can see that Casper is very productive.

Good luck.

Your vegetable friend looks tasty! :)

drthor ~ Awesome pix!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

As drthor said EPs love the heat, mine produce all summer long, despite the heat. I would rather plant them out late then early...if the soil temps are too cold the plants can be stunted. Some varieties mature much earlier then others, you might try some varieties that have a shorter DTM.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.