Snap Green Beans that are flat

Grand Junction, CO

We usually grow about 200 feet of blue lake pole beans. Invariably we end up with about 10 to 15 plants that produce flat, tough beans. Is that just poor quality seeds?

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I guess my first question would be where does the seed come from?

It sounds like cross pollination to me--but at the seed source. Like rogues in a soybean field or corn field. I helped pay for my horse addiction from the age of 14 - 16 by walking rows and pulling rogues. I don't think they do that anymore...

Will be watching to see what others think.

Grand Junction, CO

That's what I thought too. I've purchased seed from a local seed company in the past and wasn't happy. They would inadvertently put Cucumber seeds in with the Cantaloupe seeds. I couldn't trust them anymore. But usually I buy bulk packages from the farm and ranch store. It happens every year, so I was curious if I could do something different. I'm not going to tolerate them this year. They are out of the ground at the first sign of flatness.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, that's what I would do. If you have chickens I'm sure their like that idea, too.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

its likely another variety had volunteered in the seed companies fields and so there was some mixed up seed when harvested or the packaging machine wasnt all the way cleaned out between varieties...i guess its sort of like getting a pice of onion ring in your fries.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.