Night Herons

Mesquite, TX

Black Crowned Night Herons, adult (gray and white) and juvenile (brown with streaked breast).

Thumbnail by TXSkeeter Thumbnail by TXSkeeter
(Zone 5a)

Very nice photos, so clear! My one photo of this bird is only barely good enough to be able to identify what species it is.

Fukuoka, Japan

Good photos. The Black-Crowned Night Heron is quite common here in Japan, but they are shy and usually nocturnal. My hope is to be lucky enough to see and photograph the Japanese Night Heron, an endangered species. The photo here was taken in Hawaii by my brother. Happy birding! Kawasemi

Thumbnail by kawasemi
Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Thanks so much for posting your photos. They're so clean. We have night herons at Sand Creek here in Aurora, Colorado. Even with a long lens, I have trouble getting clear shots of these birds when they're flying. This photo was taken only a couple of months ago. He tends to roost most of the day in the same couple of areas.

Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman
Mesquite, TX

So far this year, I've seen fewer Night Herons than last year but I haven't been visiting the same somewhat weather protected shallow water area where I saw them last year.
Just last week though, I saw one pick off a tiny Muscovy Duck chick from the middle of the little park lake close to my house. Mama duck swimming along with a half dozen hatchlings and a minute later, had one less chick.... I knew that most herons would take a chick now and again but somewhat shocking to see the capture right in front of me and in open water no less.
Possibly due to all the local habitat and water nearby, we appear to have most of the heron species within easy driving distance of my home.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.