Winter dog paw protection

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Bitter cold here. It was -16 actual temp last night.

I wanted to tell everyone about a product called Musher's Secret. I learned about it through a service dog organization I belong to. Technically, they call it a paw wax. It comes in a jar, and is thicker than petroleum jelly, almost like paste shoe polish consistency. It is almost clear, and I have never heard of it staining fabric or floors. You rub your finger in it to warm it a bit, then apply a thin coat to the pads and in between the toes of your dogs feet. It protects against cold, forming snow balls in between the toes, burn from salt and de-icer. I also use it in the summer if I have to take Josie out on hot sidewalks. I know people who use it for protection on rocky or sandy terrain too. I bought a 60g little tub 3 years ago, and still have some left, so a little goes a long way. Josie has boots, but I think the Mushers works great, and more comfortable than boots for her. I used to use it when I went into stores that had really slippery floors, until she learned how to walk on them.

Early this morning, I let the dogs out, and they were both limping severely from the cold within a couple minutes. I called them back in, put Mushers on, fed them to give it 10-15 minutes to soak in. Took them out again and they finished their "business" without a single sign of limping.

I only have to put it once every 2-3 days, and only use it when it is below 15 degrees, or am taking Josie where salt has been used. They seem to do ok if it is over 15 out, but below that, and they limp, trying to hold all their feet up off the ground at the same time.

Not many stores carry it, but you can get it online. Their website does have a map you can look up stores that carry it. I think most of the service dog people get it from Amazon. I am lucky, a small pet store near me has it.

Also works great on my own cracked skin on my thumbs....

http://musherssecret.net/index.html

This message was edited Jan 29, 2014 4:07 PM

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!