Planning for Spring!

Hopewell, NJ

I have a good sized area that is in perpetual (but not deep) shade. it's next to an old maple with a substantial root system and is bounded on the other side by a beautiful japanese dog wood. i've put in a pathway next to the area in question.

i'm looking for suggestions for a low growing grass (liriope?) that will thrive in shade. that is cultivated for shade, to be precise ;-)

i stopped here, first. i trust the answers that i'll receive!

abby
lambertville, nj 08530 (zone 6?)

Hopewell, NJ

i *have* come up with this:
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/flowers/perennials/ornamental-grasses/#page=9

but i'd love some other suggestions from those who live in the northeast!

Thomaston, CT

Do you want to stick with a grass? Epimidium makes a nice ground cover for the dry shade, and has blossoms in white, yellow, or lavender....spreads quickly, but is never invasive here........

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

How about trying some hostas ,they do well in shade and there are so many varieties and are easy to grow.I planted hostas under a maple and an oak tree and they did well.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Not sure how stuck you are on lirope but it can be invasive and it's a bugger to remove!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I rather like the variegated lirope. It was rather stable until the trees nearby put it into deep shade and it finally died out. Now I favor acteas, hostas, bugloss, brunnera, clethra for a little larger bush for contrast, tiarella and heuchera, wintergreen, bleeding hearts, some hellebores and epimediums too.

Thomaston, CT

I have 3 variegated liriope ( out of four)......they don't spread, they just sort of languish.....I think only one bloomed last summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.