Corned Beef

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

I just put 5 lbs. of beef brisket in brine, in the 'fridge, to cure into corned beef. I didn't use any pink curing salt - some say pink salt is a health hazard (I have no idea). Since it's only added to make the beef pink, and my wife and I really don't care about the color, I've been leaving it out lately.

The brine I used is real simple: 2 quarts of water, 1 cup Kosher salt, 1 1/2 tablespoons Pickling Spices, 1/4 cup Brown Sugar. I've experimented with spices some in the past, but this time I just used Mrs. Wages Pickling Spices from the store.

The meat is held down under the brine in a closed container, and during the next week I'll turn it over a couple of times to make sure it's all evenly exposed. After the beef has soaked for a week I'll rinse it several times and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator in cold water to get the salt out - then we'll cook it.

It's only 5 pounds of meat, so I doubt we'll make corned beef and cabbage this time - we'll do that with another one for St. Pat's Day in about seven weeks. But boy, a couple of lunches with Reuben sandwiches on rye bread with homemade sauerkraut, a couple more sandwiches with corned beef and horseradish mustard, AND a couple of breakfasts of corned beef hash and runny eggs - that's some good eating, there.

I need to remember to make corned beef more often - the ones I brine at home always turn out so much better than what the market sells, and the price per pound is about half!

This thread has 27 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!