January 20th, 2014: Hoya 'Royal Hawaiian Purple' (Hoya pubicalyx) by PanamonCree

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The Bloom of the Day for January 20th, 2014 was Hoya 'Royal Hawaiian Purple' (Hoya pubicalyx).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2014-01-20

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

This is lovely! I have trouble getting my Hoyas to bloom. A friend gave me a cutting of a rope hoya (hoya compacta) two years ago and says hers blooms all the time but mine never has. I also have a hoya anulata which blooms very infrequently. They are in pots inside a screened in porch with dark screen that has an eastern/southern exposure so they get lots of muted light but not too much. Any ideas?

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, that is a stunning bloom!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful bloom!
flfwrs, I only have one hoya (Hoya lacunosa) and I keep it outside in a hanging basket under the shaded oaks, it does get filtered sun and most shade. I feed it when I feed my orchids, the same food. Mostly let it get rain water, but if I do have to water it, I water with rain water. It seems to bloom off and on from late spring through the fall. Maybe in the summer you could find a place to hang it outside in a shady spot?
I know someone in your zone that has many hoyas out under her oaks, she does put them in a green house in the winter. Hers bloom very well.

This is lovely and awesome bloom!

This message was edited Feb 20, 2014 2:12 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.