Two New Baby Silkies, I call Heckle and Jeckle

(Zone 6b)

Here they are only one day old. They are around ten days old now and doing fine. The lady that sold me the eggs said they are blue, but they are certainly a light blue aren't they? The hen was splash and the rooster black. Out of the nine eggs, only these two hatched.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTMS_WiTfT0

This was taken right after they were born. The one is still wet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D1trF7656k

Here is the first one trying to get out of the egg. She got a wing out. For awhile I thought maybe it was a foot, but after seeing their feet, I know it must have been a wing. It was kind of funny to watch because it seemed to have a lot of control over it. First this way, then that way, then this way, it struggled and struggled. Then it would rest, then more struggling, then more resting. When I left the room it popped out. Wouldn't you know it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUYl37jMQ1g

Bridgewater, ME

Nice looking chicks

(Zone 6b)

Their parents are beautiful, from what I saw of their pictures. She told me not to feed them anything but chick starter for the first two weeks. People on here always told me to feed them boiled eggs and grated carrots. I have never had problems with baby chicks being sick, and I've always fed them boiled eggs and carrots and anything else I could get them to eat.

So, no opinion on their color?

Richmond, TX

I know nothing about colors in Silkies, but I feed chick starter and grass with the roots and dirt attached to prevent pasty butt.

Bridgewater, ME

I start my chicks out with medicated chick starter, and infants poly-vi-sol vit. without the iron in the water for a few days.I also mix the feed with cornmeal to stop pasty butt.Your silkie chicks look like my blue splash rooster I had.This is Silver

Thumbnail by green04735
(Zone 6b)

I see. TY Greene. He is a very pretty boy.

Ferndale, WA

LFJ, Love those birds, what a great experience. Isn't it hard to believe that something that small can find the energy to struggle like they do. Kudo's to you...Even two out of nine is a success story in my opinion...Way to go. Hay

Donna I love that silkie...so darling.

Ferndale, WA

LFJ: I forgot to tell you I love those names...Heckel and Jeckel were always my favorite cartoon characters...They were always up to no good but very funny stuff. Somebody will have to use the names Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for a pair of birds or maybe Bonnie and Clyde...lol. I love looking at everyone elses animals and birds now, especially, because I don't have any...Hay

(Zone 5b)

Silkies are so darned cute!

Ferndale, WA

Annie, did you get my D-Mail?

Thumbnail by Haystack
(Zone 6b)

Love the picture Haystack!

Someone fired off a shotgun near my house a few months ago. I bought some security cameras and a DVR for surveillance. Still don't have them set up, just the one in the backyard that is not on the house. That is me. :( Of course, I'd love to have the wires run through the attic and down the wall to my DRV, but haven't found anyone I trust to do that for me.

Never occurred to me I would use it for my chickens. It is fun sitting here looking at the backyard. though I can only see a limited area.

Just a few minutes ago I glanced over at the little security monitor and BEHOLD A HAWK was sitting on a half burned log on my fire pit. He was just sitting right there in my yard! So, I ran out in my pajamas and yelled at him. He flew off and made a huge circle around the house. He is a beautiful bird, but my goodness, I don't want him here. There was one little young silkie that had not made it into the garage yet. The other birds were hding. WTG chickens! That was 30 minutes ago and they are still hiding. God put those instincts into them. They know somehow that they should hide.

What to do?

(Zone 6b)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaHF87xpedA&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

Here they are again. You can see they have grown a smidge. The one on the right I think is a little rooster. He has that "attitude" going on.

Greene, looks like our silkies are of quite similar ages.

I don't know what to think of the color. They hatched out the light blue color, and now are feathering out into a pale yellow. I like it, but it puzzles me.

I put a red towel down in a recliner for a backdrop. What do you think? haha

Bridgewater, ME

They are beautiful,really nice leg feathering.They look white to me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.