Properly Trimming a tropical Plant

Saskatoon, Canada

Hey Everyone,

I'm not really a gardener, but I've had this tropical plant (see images) since I was born and that makes Joe 40+ years old. He's got some significant twists and turns in his trunk from being tipped over and who knows what else!

Joe is at the point of not fitting into our home anymore and my wife thinks it's the ugliest thing she has ever seen. My son Logan loves Joe and has literally been in tears at the thought of throwing him away.

Here is a video link (yes that's a balloon monkey that Logan made for the tree and those are my screaming children in the background).
http://rocket.wistia.com/medias/6xz564o6a5

I had 2 thoughts.

1. Somehow grow a plant from a branch. I've read some articles on that, but would like an informed opinion.

2. Chop Joe off at the base and if he's like the Elm's in my yard, he'll be back in full force in no time.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thumbnail by stooky Thumbnail by stooky Thumbnail by stooky
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Kind of ugly but also a plant Dr. Seuss would probably grow and love.

Not sure how hard you can cut these back without killing them but I know they do take a hard shear. My mother has chopped hers back several times but then never let hers get over five feet tall.

noonamah, Australia

You can cut it right back near to the ground and it will reshoot. Probably end up with multiple stems but just cut out the ones you don't want. At the other end, you can take cuttings, they strike very easily. Quite a lot of plants could be got out of that stem.

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree with tropicbreeze. I might wait till the days are longer in spring/summer, since you're so far north, but if you cut it back, it should grow back from the base. (Although if it's that old, those dormant leaf buds down low have been asleep for a long time!)
And as tropicbreeze also stated, you can root the growing tip (cut off the top 6 inches or so, remove all but the newest 3 or 4 leaves to cut down on how much water it needs until it grows roots) and keep the cutting slightly moist (not wet- you don't want to have it rot, and it won't need much water since 1) it has no roots anyway, 2) it's under a plastic bag, so the humidity will be high, and 3) you only left it with a few leaves, so it will not lose much water thru the few leaves that remain) Use a good potting mix (not dirt), and cover it with a clear/opaque plastic bag in indirect light- no sunlight.
The upper part of your old plant will be more likely to re-sprout from just below where you cut it, since that growth is younger.
Let us know how it goes!
Paul

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Just saw this..............how did the pruning/rooting go??

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I would like to know too. I gave a similar Schefflera to a friend perhaps 35 years ago, and she too refuses to cut the plant back. I visit with here several times each year and tell her year after year to cut it back. I even took loppers with me one time, to no avail. She is afraid it will die, though I assure her it won't. Her plant has multiple stems and several of them have reached the ceiling and have doubled-back towards the floor. It is a mess!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I have 2 from a client that I took the pruners to. LOL Branches flopping around all over, ungainly, etc. She wasn't here when I did the deed, so not a problem. :>)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.