Should I be winter feeding the bees?

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I have been doing a little experiment to see which birds like which birdseed. Today was fairly warm, and I was surprised to see the bees going nuts over the cracked corn. They weren't attracted to anything else, including the whole corn and fruit. Should I be feeding them? I would need something that won't be damaged by night temps in the teens Fahrenheit or lower.
This area is basically a housing development in the dry prairie. I am pretty sure there are no beekeepers anywhere around. I have never tried following these gals home, but I assume they live in somebodies attic unbeknownst to the home owner.

Thumbnail by pollengarden
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Or a treetrunk- revived by the warmth. Cracked corn, suggests they were going for the sweet kernal- so are prob needing sometbing to eat. Not an expert on feeding bees, but sounds like I would be Karo thickening some peaches for em...

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I put out a pie plate of glass beads covered with 2:1 sugar water next to the spilled cracked corn. They didn't want it. They weren't interested in the two blooming house plants I sat out either. My lemon tree isn't in bloom right now - but the winter bees love it when it is blooming, so maybe they just weren't bee plants.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Hmmm, try a piece of like honey ham? Its what i give em when sitting still and they are swarming my buggy windshield and radiator grilll...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.