Spring Roundup 2014- Food

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Please post what you are planning on bringing on this thread. I hope to be able to grill but I will know more on that when I get to visit it this spring unless my friend who has been there remembers if we can.

I will post who is bringing what on this post so we don't have to scroll to find it all.

greenbrain- cheesecake, brownies, fruit salad
joeswife-buns, paper plates, napkins, mustard, ketchup, 8 pk coke (ya sure? lol), cold rotel dip, tortilla chips
happgarden- deviled eggs and coleslaw, charcoal, starter, byob-lol
shortleaf- hot dogs
pepper23- hamburgers

This message was edited May 24, 2014 8:09 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'll start with cheese cake. After the discussion last week, it sounds like a popular dessert. I guess that we can figure out servings when we get closer to the date. I'll see later what we may need to fill in.

By the way, I see a Roundup forum on DG. Should we also advertise the date & location there?

If someone would like to put a mention in there that would be great. I actually forgot about that forum.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

you all just tell me what ya need me to bring, I will bring it. We will prolly need some baked beans, and tater salad, right?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Link to mention on Roundup forum.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347716/

By the way, green, yer driving from Illinois? wow!

She's just over the border in the St. Louis suburbs. lol.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks Pepper. It is true. I actually work in downtown St. Louis. I can see the St. Louis Arch from Madison.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm glad that I looked at this thread again. I forgot all about it & that I'm bringing cheesecake.

Just found out that they do have grills at the shelters there so we are good to go on doing hamburgers and hot dogs if you guys want.

Off to the Mavs game so I'll catch up tomorrow. :~)

If not burgers and dogs we can do sandwiches with different kinds of meat and cheese and fixings and everyone makes their own.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Since my chickens are laying like crazy I will bring deviled eggs. I am sure if I bury them in ice they will stay cold enough don't you think? I can make cole slaw that will go with anything sandwiches hot or cold.

I can bring potato salad if anyone is interested. Or brownies to go with the cheesecake. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm making mini cheesecakes. I'll have mine iced too. How many will we need?

Joyce, The deviled eggs sound great because my vegetarian daughter and diabetic gr-d can both eat them; esp. yummy since they're farm fresh eggs. A friend recently gave us 5 dozen brown farm fresh eggs and they were delicious. Unless you save the eggshells, I wouldn't mind taking them off your hands. I'll add them to my compost pile.

Pepper, potato salad sounds great. I can do the brownies. In fact, I can just take care of the desserts. The church always has me bake brownies for gatherings, so brownies have become my specialty. That way I'll know the carbs per serving for Chloe, my gr-d. How about a fruit salad too for a healthy alternative?

Pepper, I think that we need to start a list. Put me down for mini cheesecakes, brownies, & fruit salad. I just need an idea of how much to prepare.

List is in first post of this thread.

How about drinks? Do you guys want me to bring a couple things or you want to just bring your own? I can have my friend make us something like tea, sweet and unsweet. I'll have a cooler to put it in to keep cold.

gb, my dh is pre-diabetic so I watch that verry closely.

I love potato salad so that sounds good also.

I am bringing the buns, paper plates, napkins, mustard, ketchup, an 8 pack of coke, some cold rotel dip, and tortilla chips. I don't drink coke, but I will have my own water in bottles. We won't stay the night there, but plan on staying the night on the way home somewhere. Hopefully at Bonnies. LOL

Have we decided on meat? I can do hot dogs if that will work? I have charcoal and fire starter. Let me know.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Joyce, My gr-d is 9 years old and was diagnosed with type I diabetes when she was 5 years old. I'm use to making desserts using Splenda and low sugar. I also make sure that I'll know the carb count per serving. I also have home canned pear butter and bread n butter pickles all made using Splenda. Would you like me to bring your hubby a jar of each to take home and try?

I'm getting excited reading all the posts knowing that soon we'll be getting together soon.

By the way Pepper, it looks like Nicole will be able to make it after all, so I'll have 4 in my party -- again.

I just hope that I don't disappoint with my plant offerings. I haven't gotten as much done as I'd hoped, but I'll try to get it together before the Roundup. At least, I scheduled the Friday before off and I have this 3 day holiday weekend coming up.

Don't worry, you will be going home with more than you come in with. lol. This year I have a ton of plants due to growing tougher plants and plus what living freebies I have left from the work road show earlier this year. lol.

I will add nicole back to the list. lol

Have you tried using Stevia? My grandma quit using sugar years ago and now uses Stevia. She likes it better than Splenda.

I love stevia, planted some seeds even, but I have no clue what is what since I don't tag when I seed. Bad gardener!

Oh Gb he would love that. I have started baking using almond flour but it is priced like gold. But when he wants cookies or carrot cake that is what I use. One of my best friends in school was diabetic and it was so hard.

Well I will have some flowers to swap but since I just finished the Mg sale I wont have much. Like u guys I have so much to do between now and then but will have some.

Joyce, Bonnie's son and also her sister live in KC now, maybe she can at least meet us on the way back there.. I am going to BUG her.

Bonnies not ccoming?

who are you coming with?

Me and Joanna ( my 25 yr old daughter) Originally it was going to be me, bonnie and the two girls, but Audrey can't go and Bonnie said she wants too, but can't commit.
Prolly just as well, we only fit two in my car plus plants LOL

If bonnie commits i could meet her in kc and she could go the rest of the way together. I bought a fiat so 2 people and plants are it...rofl

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Chloe, my gr-d doesn't like Stevia, so she gave hers to me. I can't stand it either. Too bitter. I would rather skip the sweetener than put Stevia in it. Sorry, but we like our Splenda. I wish that I could use the Stevia since it's from a plant and more natural.

Joyce, I'll bring your hubby a couple jars to try. I still have plenty left from last year.

We'll bring our own drinks since my family is so picky and no one seems to like the same thing. So is it BYOB? LOL

I wish I knew my grandma's secret with it. She makes applesauce with it and it's super sweet. Can't even tell it's Stevia. I leave that kind of experimenting to her though. I suck at swapping sugar out. lol

Bringing our own drinks sounds good to me. lol

Bonnie is working so I will see her on the way home. I told my daughter we are having hamburgers and hotdogs. She will eat about one third of a burger and I will finish it LOL

You guys want me to bring the hamburgers and dogs?

Well, I am bringing buns, how about you bring dogs and I bring burgers?

That works for me!!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Why don't you bring hamburgers, pepper, and I'll bring hotdogs?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

How many servings are we estimating? 2 dozen servings per dessert item alright? That would be 2 dozen cheesecakes and 2 dozen brownies; plus strawberries for a fruit which are in season right now. Does that sound good? I could do one dozen regular brownies and one dozen Splenda brownies.

It all sounds wonderful. Food, friends, and plants! Who's bringing the nice weather? LOL

This message was edited May 23, 2014 11:11 PM

Sounds good and good. lol

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Great then! Me hotdogs! I'm on a kindle fire so hope everything looks alright.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, lookin' good on the kindle fire.

Happ, you want to go ahead and bring the charcoal and starter? If not I can bring it.

I can bring it, so I am bringing:
charcoal
starter
devil eggs
coleslaw
byob

Need me to bring anything else just yell.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Yeah! Deviled eggs. : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.