Spring Roundup 2014

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Spring Roundup is being held on May 31rst, 2014 at Bothwell Lodge in Sedalia, MO.

Everyone is welcome and you are more than welcome to bring friends and family. The more the merrier!! We all love meeting new friends and always have a blast!!

We will be having this at a shelter on the grounds. It will be the first shelter and is closest to the playground and restrooms. Thr grounds open at 8am and will be open til sunset.

There will also be a tour of the lodge itself. Tours start at 10am and run til 4pm with the last tour starting at 3pm. The tours generally last an hour.

Tour fees for adults (18 and older) are $4 a person. Kids ages 6-17 are $3 a person. There are group rates but it doesn't mention how many count for a group. But those rates are $3.50 for adults and $2.50 for kids. Kids under age 6 are free on both tours.

General information on the park. The links on the right side and the picture links directly under the picture slide show pertain to Bothwell.

http://www.mostateparks.com/park/bothwell-lodge-state-historic-site

Will's link: http://dnr.mo.gov/magazine/documents/mr-winter14.pdf

This message was edited Jan 14, 2014 8:08 PM

List of who plans on coming. When you have a count of how many please mention it so I can add it to your name. It will be a total count of your group. This will help with planning food and other stuff.

shortleaf-1
joeswife-2
greenbrain-3
pepper23-2
happgarden-1

This message was edited May 19, 2014 7:43 PM

This message was edited May 20, 2014 12:25 PM

Link to food thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/pf.php

I will post links to other threads that get started as we go along on this post.

I just found the link that mentions shelter fees. It is $35 to reserve it for a day.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Hey Pepper, that link takes me to a new blank post page.. uhm..
Do you need help with reservation fees? do you have my work phone number?

Any help with shelter fees would be greatly appreciated!! I don't have your number so go ahead and dmail me just in case I need to get ahold of you. lol. Or if you get lost that day, go find you. lol

By the way, directions to the lodge are on the site. If you have trouble finding the link dmail me and I'll help you.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I received approval today to take vacation on Fri., May 30 and Mon., June 2. This way I have plenty of time to prepare and rest up afterwards. : )

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here's a link to the food thread. I just posted there.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347517/

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks pepper, sounds great, I just dmailed you a question on the reservation. I'll be by myself.
Will

Getting close to that time of the year!! Even with the snow flying today Spring is in the air and the RU is a little over a month away. Getting excited!!

Isn't your birthday on tax day, pepper?! Hehe.. it's a little over 2 months away! lol I too, am getting anxious! Oh, wasn't that snow ridiculous?! None of it stuck to the ground, it was 33 degrees, bu it was pretty.

I havn't reserved anything yet. I am still planning on being there, but we gotta have more than 4 peeps, I hopes. Freeking cold here right now, I am sick of this stuff.

Green is supposed to bring her granddaughter and 1 daughter so far and I will have a friend with me.

Yeah, it's on tax day. Easy to remember. lol

yours is the 15th? Mine is the 12th. the big 62 ugh, old!

Sorry to hear about the Wichita State Shockers, Debra. I wanted them to win it all, I kinda figured KU and K-State would go out but not Wichita State dangit. My birthday is more like when the tax extension to pay is due, August 17th! lol I'll be near AARP!

This message was edited Mar 25, 2014 9:10 AM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Tax day will be our 26th wedding anniversary & we'll be volunteering at a church soup kitchen serving an early Easter dinner with other church family. We're actually looking forward to it because the food is always great and the fellowship there is very uplifting.

That sounds loverly, Green.. happy anniversary early.. 26 years is a wonderful milestone..

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I talked with my oldest daughter Carla today and she's all for joining me and Nicole at the Roundup. Of course, Chloe will be coming too.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I booked our rooms at the American Inn in Sedalia, MO. We're good to go!

do we have a Head count yet?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Four in my party. Me, my 2 daughters, and gr-daughter. It's going to be a chic trip.

well, I will have to see if my two 20 5 yr oold girls want to go, one is my daughter, and her friend.. we all need a mini vaca, they are not into plants, but shopping, I can turn them loose down town.. still trying to contact Joyce ( happ) and Bonnie ( AuntB) , tropicman (Don) moved to Amarilllo.. might be too far from him..

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

The more -- the merrier. I hope that you all can make it JW. In case you forgot, I'm Betty.
My daughters are Carla (31) and Nicole (24). Gr-d's name is Chloe (9). They accompanied me at the last Roundup (2008) I attended & had a great time touring Powell Garden. Link to pics.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/837629/

I plan to be there, I will be by myself. There is a big outlet mall kinda sorta near Sedalia, that I know of, if they are willing to travel that far to shop, Jw. It's in Osage Beach, Mo. It has a Big Dog store in it that my friend here just loves. It appears to be 60 or 70 miles from Sedalia. - http://www.bing.com/entities/search?q=osage+beach+outlet&filters=segment%3a%22local%22&qs=n&pq=osage+beach+outlet&sc=8-18&sp=-1&cvid=0badc287979b46518b40c20b2c8d365a&qpvt=osage+beach+outlet&FORM=MAPAGG
We plan to go to that and the Missouri state capitol earlier next month. There is a historic former prison by the capitol that is really interesting too. That is our main destination, this former prison was built in 1836, it really has some history. If one believed in ghosts, this prison is supposed to be haunted too. - http://www.missouripentours.com/history.php
See everybody at the RU!
Will

The second post has head counts. I edit the post as I get firm counts.

Okay .. got some great ideas for short vaca trips.. ;) so far as I know, 3 for me.. still trying to get a hold of Joyce and Bonnie.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I posted a reminder on the Roundup Forum and provided a link to our Roundup discussion thread.

Here's the link; if anyone wants to add more info.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347716/

Thanks green. I also found out that walkins are accepted at Bothwell lodge on taking the tours, which lasts about an hour she said. Although they're accepted we might reserve it because she said they get more visitors starting about then. If anybody has any questions for Bothwell Lodge and Park feel free to call them at - 660-827-0510. I left a voicemail for them yesterday after they were closed and they called me back today to answer another question, I was in bed but I was still glad to hear from them.
Will

wel, I got Bonnie to agree to come with us.. so.. that is a good thing ( AuntB)

YAY!!!!!!!

Ok guys what time do we want to meet? I have to get my request off in asap and I need to know times so I can figure on a half day or a full day off. It's also no garantee I will get it off but I will do my best.

I can see where Sat. is a premium day for Home Depot. I bet diyer's hit the store hard on Saturdays.
Hope you get the time off, pepper. I may not even be working then, my temp assignment is set to be over before then. It's going right now still like normal, well kinda normal, they are much closer to ending the current operation. About half the people there have been given notice of their last day, June 12th and they got a severance. The other half of the people are staying there to operate a less busy operation of warehousing only. Sat. has always been a day off for me anyway. Barring some unforeseen circumstances, I will be at the RU. Any time arrangement is fine for me, 12 to 3 or 2 to 4 or anything.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, I'm hoping that you can make it. I spent five hours cleaning up the garden and backyard today and I found a couple of nice volunteer cherry bushes that I'm digging up for you. I also found some nice bamboo runners.

Does anyone want some trailing thorn-less blackberries? I have plenty of runners. I gave my mom some last spring and she had berries by late July.

I've been scouting around the yard trying to get an idea of what plants I can share. Does anyone want some catnip, lemon balm, star of Bethlehem, garlic, tansy, periwinkle, ditch lilies, purple cone flowers, or spearmint? In the meantime, I'll keep looking.

I'll take some blackberries. I can put them in a pot and keep them trimmed. My cats would love some catnip also. lol

I'll go ahead and put in a request for the day off next week. Hopefully it's accepted since it's not a major holiday weekend.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pepper, I'll have some blackberry canes for you and the catnip.

I'd like some black bery and star of bethleam, and hmmm..
been potting stuff up to bring, but if ya all want anything special ( lok on my have list) let me know.
I am rooting snowberrie bush, chinese white lilac, eupatorium havenase, and a goji berry. so far, anyway..oh I have some ROS the blue that turns to purple as it ages.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

JW, Lilac and snowberry please! Especially, I would love the lilac. What is ROS?

I'm going to have limited space in my daughter's car. That's why I'm asking.

Pepper, I hope that you can make it. I'm looking forward to seeing you again.

rose of sharon...

Thumbnail by joeswife

I'll take some of the creeping speedwell if it made it thru the winter. I need a good groundcover for my friend's house and this will look good with Wine N' Roses Wigelia and a golden toned aborvitae.

Thanks green, I should be there. Some Bamboo runners eh green? Is there any chance you could start them at your house? I have terrible luck getting stuff like that going after I get it. My Bissetii Bamboo doesn't appear to be doing well with extremely cold temps like I thought it would.
I'm looking forward to seeing you all at the RU.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.