Sick Plant, Unknown Cause

Shellharbour, Australia

Hi, I'm new to the site, so not sure if this is the correct forum section to post this, apologies if it isn't.

I'm relatively new to gardening, and have collected quite a few succulents, most are going very well, with the exception of one, a Mesembryanthemum Floribundum 'Red Pigface', which has white spots on it's leaves. This has only started happening within the past week. Does anyone here know what is causing this? It is in a location where it does not get direct sun until about 1 PM, I'm not sure if this is due to inadequate sun, I do have three other plants of the same species, and a Jade plant in the same location, and they all seem to be doing well. They are planted in regular garden soil (I know this isn't really ideal, I didn't know the soil requirements of succulents when constructing the garden.) Any help is greatly appreciated. I have attached images of the affected plant.

Thumbnail by dave2889 Thumbnail by dave2889
barmera, Australia

I think that is scale so just treat with oil based spray. I find that dusting sulphur works on my Epiphylums as well and on the cacti so you could give that a go. I find that if you put the oil based sprays on in the heat it sort of cooks the plant [fries probably is the word] that's why the dusting sulphur is good. Colleen

Shellharbour, Australia

Thanks, I sprayed it with insecticide (Pyrethrum), no idea if that'll do anything, I'll have to take a look at my local hardware store when I can get a chance, and see if they sell that dusting sulphur.

Shellharbour, Australia

I didn't find any dusting sulphur, but found lime sulphur instead, I sprayed it yesterday afternoon, will see how it goes. Thanks for your help, Colleen.

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi Again Dave,
Since you are a new member, I just thought I'd check out your other threads to see if I could be useful and I found this one.

Yes, you have scale. It's a PITA because the little shells prevent many pesticides from reaching the actual insects inside which are sucking on your plant. Wait a week or so and then get a fine-haired artists paint brush and see if the little sods can be brushed off - if they come away then the pyrethrum has killed them. if not they are still at it! I doubt the sulphur has done much as that is mostly a fungicide. (See: http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1610893.htm )

The next weapon of choice is neat methylated spirits - you can brush it on with that paint brush I just mentioned! This will dissolve the waxes in the scale shells and make them vulnerable to drying out and thus dieing. You must repeat your treatment of choice about once a fortnight for 6 to 8 weeks in case any baby scale hatch out after your treatment - this should get on top of them. I have also used Isopropol alcohol as it also dries them out (the brand is Isocol rubbing alcohol) and diluted dog shampoo with Lavender and Tea-Tree oils (the brand is called "Our Dog") - this last is good for mealy-bug and aphids on succulents as well as the shampoo helps the plant oils to spread into all the cracks and crevices on the plants. Whatever you use, wash your brush well in hot soapy water afterwards and make sure it dries out well, as you will need it again!.

One warning with sprays on cacti and succulents - do not spray in extremely hot weather - any film of oil or chemical left on the plants surface may cause marks on the skin, and some sprays can remove the natural waxes from the skin of the plants as well as the waxes from the pests, so sprayed plants will be vulnerable to burning until they can regenerate properly. With a shrubby plant, like your Mesemb, the insects WILL leave some permanent marks on the leaves but if you can kill off your infestation, these damaged leaves will die off over time and get replaced with new ones. Also, you can always start these plants over as cuttings if yours becomes too tatty. All you need is the end of a stem with about 3 to 5 pairs of leaves on it - cut it off the plant, give it a couple of days to heal over and plant it into some coarse sand.

A word to the wise, your plant is mislabelled - it is most likely to be a Lamprathus of some sort.
Please see this thread here for the reasoning: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1344107/?hl=mesembryanthemum and my post on it about two-thirds of the way down. If you can get me a good close up of your flower when you have one, I'll see if I can tell you WHICH Lampranthus you have. There IS a plant called Drosanthemum floribundum, but that has much smaller leaves and tiny (15mm) flowers which are pink, never red.

Ciao, KK.

Ciao Again, KK.

Brush it on with that paint brush. brushed the oil based sprays on in the heat it sort of cooks the plant that's why the dusting sulphur is good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.