Are Cauliflower Leaves Tasty?

Sierra Vista, AZ(Zone 8b)

It occurs to me that, since cauliflower is related to cabbage, collards, kale, and the like, maybe their leaves would make good greens. Anyone have any experience in this regard?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

well, i have pan fried the leaves of my broccoli plants and they turned out pretty nice, just had to be de-veined or would have been tough as nails, lol, so i figure it may would work out the same way for your case perhaps.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Very much like the outer green leaves of cabbage. Edible but not in high demand.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, they are!

And, Farmerdill is correct. They taste more like cabbage than "greens" like hard collards or spikey mustards.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Willy,

Did you try them? And if so how were they? http://articles.earthlingshandbook.org/2011/10/11/cauliflower-leaves-are-edible/

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We eat the smaller inside leaves raw as part of a crudite platter or in salad.

Edited for not so smart phone spelling.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2014 8:45 AM

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

I know my chickens consider them edible!!
Jo-Ann

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

chickens consider anything on the ground edible

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Quote from eweed :
chickens consider anything on the ground edible

Reminded me of this:

A chicken's eating rules:

1. Does it fit down your gullet?
If yes, eat it. If no, go to question 2.

2. Can you break it into pieces that will fit down your gullet?
If yes, break it up and eat it. If no, wait for it to decompose (or your servants to rake out the coop).

3. Does it try to get away when you peck at it?
If yes, go to question 1. If no, go to question 4.

4. There is no question 4.

5. Does another chicken have it in its mouth?
If yes, OMG YOU MUST GET IT NOW. Forget everything else.

6. Do other chickens see it hanging from your mouth?
If yes, run like hell. The others already are on their way.

7. Is it something your servants are growing in a garden?
If yes, eat it and everything else in the garden. Leave nothing standing.

8. Is your servant laying passed out on the ground?
If yes, wait a few minutes (because someone has to refill the feeders). If they don't get up, then go to question 2.

drobarr-I did not try the leaves as I posted the question after harvesting the last head. I had only planted six plants. Next year I'll eat some for sure.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Willy,

I just spent a week in Chandler at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass hotel. It was beautiful...mid 70's each day and lows in the 40's at night. Sierra Vista (spanish for Mountain View) is south of Tucson? Must be beautiful. My dad was born and raised in Mesa so AZ is one of my favorite states. I grew up in Southern CA.

John

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I sliced the ribs like celery and used them in salad. My cauli was from the grocery and had no leaves to speak of. I love broccoli stalks, peeled and chopped in salads so I tried the cauliflower stems. I thought they were milder-tasting than either cabbage or broccoli.

I am an ex-resident of Mesa. Moved to Sierra Vista after retiring in 2008 to escape the low desert heat and congestion of the Phoenix area. Sierra Vista is in the SE corner of AZ at about 4,500 feet. We're right at the foot of a 9,400 foot mountain range and close to Wyatt Earp's old stomping grounds--Tombstone.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Been using the huge, beautiful cauliflower leaves to make Green Smoothies...

Hopefully, "No waste = no waist," LOL!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Cute If I didn't know better I would think you actually came from a gym

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.