Saving a Bamboo palm

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I acquired 2 Bamboo Palms about 5 foot tall, they were left behind in a house but then tossed outside in 20F freezing weather with rain and some of the palm turned brown and the upright plants are bent over to the ground but the base and roots are fine. Can I cut the palm to the stalks so new shoots grow out straight?

noonamah, Australia

It would be a bit 'touch and go', depends how long it was in sub-freezing conditions. In a pot the cold will penetrate the root system faster than it would in the ground. It's always worth a try though, but if it's going to recover it's going to take a long time. In many ways you'd be better off to get replacements, they are quite a cheap palm to buy, here anyway.

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

There is a bunch of green shoots sprouting from the roots I see no root damage only damage to the leaves.

noonamah, Australia

Well certainly give it a go. Perhaps the cold didn't get time to penetrate the roots. The healthier the plant was before the cold event the better it's chances are of recovery. Reserves are stored and help the plant get back to producing its own food quicker. Good luck with it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.