troublesome Mockingbird

Decatur, GA

My bird feeder was down for several days last week because of out of town visitors. I got it back up and restocked several days ago and now a mockingbird has decided he is the only one who gets the food!! He chases off any bird who tries to come feed and even challenged a squirrel! That was amusing. I had this happen several years ago in the spring and eventually he left after several weeks. I am hoping this bird will leave soon so the bluebirds, cardinals and various other regulars can come back to feed. But I am wondering if he might stay longer because of the time of year. He will be less inclined to leave now for romantic pursuits the springtime might cause. Anybody have experience with this or similar problems with their bird feeders? Any suggestions? Mockingbirds can be particularly ornery.
Thanks for any input.
Helen

Mesquite, TX

If you live in any area where there are mockingbirds, your plight will be shared by anyone with a bird feeder.
To that end, know that your heathen bird cannot guard the feeder at all hours of the day and once he's established what he thinks is his territory, he'll become far more tolerant of other birds coming to feed. Eventually, he'll just branch out and leave for greener pastures... or better birdseed. Mockingbirds natively eat bugs with seeds just as an afterthought. Since bugs are few and far between during the winter months, the diet changes to whatever is available.
If all else fails during some limited time period that you set, it might be helpful to add another temporary feeder at some distance from your original if you feel that your "regular" birds are going to be driven away for good. Not likely but what the heck, I wonder if most of us human bird feeders don't get a little over protective of the birds we're used to attracting when it seems that a new visitor upsets the apple cart.
Steve

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

Helen, the only problem I have had with Mockingbirds was with the mealworm feeder. I have never had trouble with them eating seed. I cannot get them to eat seed. What food are you using? I have also had trouble with Robins eating mealworms but only when they were feeding their young. Frank

Decatur, GA

I feed black oil sunflower seeds and my yummy homemade suet mix. Txskeeter, from what you say my mockingbird is probably enjoying the suet mix instead of hunting the few and far between bugs. Especially with the cold snap we just experienced. Maybe when the weather softens he won't feel the need to protect the suet and will branch back out to his natural food. I am okay with him eating plenty but I know with the cold spell everyone could use a dietary boost.

Mesquite, TX

If it makes you feel any better, I'll offer this bit of wisdom that someone else gave me a long time ago.

'Despite any current weather conditions, how many birds (local or otherwise) have you found that obviously died from starvation? Not many...'

I think sometimes that we backyard birders tend to assume that we're the only food source around which is kind of ok but in reality, we're just a convenient fast food outlet for birds that will find food somewhere else if we don't provide it. Mind you, I like my backyard feathered visitors as much as anyone but I rarely worry if "my" birds are going to go without if I can't get out to feed them for some reason.
Steve

Decatur, GA

Thanks Steve, I agree the local birds aren't dependent on the food I offer. I think the exception is when the weather gets tough… some birds might starve if they are on the edge and I think it would most likely happen when resources are harder to come by or when need increases as with extra cold spell. So if my offerings can help one bird past a rough spot I am happy.
I do think by not keeping my feeders supplied a balance of some sort was upset and now having the mockingbird dominating the feeder is the result of having the resource reintroduced so to speak. Oh well, live and learn.
I think I will pull the suet mix for a while and only leave the seeds. That might get the mockingbird to move somewhere else. Do you suppose a week would be long enough?
Helen

Mesquite, TX

Exact timing is left up to you but your powers of observation are probably the best indicator of when to remove/replace any feeder materials. If for instance, you think the suet may be the issue, remove it for some time period, say 5 days or so, and observe the mocker's behavior during that period. In my own opinion and observations, most male but also some female mockingbirds tend to set up a territory of some size (perhaps 2 to 5 acres) and stay within that territory as long as there is abundant food and the landscape suits their need for basic necessities such as food, water, shelter, breeding, nesting, and so on but with brief forays outside that territory for various reasons. If some factor changes such as a sudden lack of food stuffs, the birds will expand the territory and set up their daily shop where the missing factor is more plentiful. This in effect leads to a constantly shifting territory where they'll stay the most active. It's not breeding nor nesting season yet (or probably isn't in most areas) so if you remove those factors from the equation, that leaves only food and water availability which you are obviously providing.
I've also observed that aggressive mocker behavior is transient in that, barring an active nest site with eggs or fledglings, the aggression seems to come and go with a seemingly angry bird for some period of X days and a totally opposite and benign behavior following.
As I noted before, observe exactly what's going on if possible, the area where the ruckus is happening (seed feeder, suet feeder, etc.), and when it's happening, i.e. time(s) of day, and then make your feeder location changes accordingly.
Personally, I have a very small yard so any feeder location changes would be no more than 20-25' away from the original location but if your yard is larger, you may be able to temporarily separate your feeders at a greater distance and resolve the problem or see if the issue resolves itself.
Good luck!
Steve

Decatur, GA

Thanks Steve,
I appreciate your advise and think it is sound. I will see what I can do to get the mocker to move on or at least change his/her attitude. ^_^
Helen.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

It sounds like you have more advice than I could offer. I watched a mockingbird 'defend' a good sized dogwood tree from bluejays. But the three bluejays kind of tag teamed him and i think they won in the end. Amusing.

Decatur, GA

Update. I have taken the suet away for several days and the mockingbird doesn't defend the seed feeder. I have only done this for a few days at a time. As soon as the suet is back so is the bossy Mocker running everyone off everything, including the seeds. So I guess I might take down the suet for a longer period to see if it will get the Mocker to go AWAY!!! Geez.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I suggest putting up the suet --when you do-- in a place far removed from the seed.

I have Mockers every year, usually throughout the year.

Have never seen them go after any sunflower or other seeds.

Not even the fresh sunflowers on the bushes that grow in my yard every year.

However . . . they LOVE fruit! Over-ripe apples at our home get stuck on a roofing screw (placed for that purpose) in the top of the fence, AFTER either cutting them in half, or partially peeling them (the skins of hybrid apples are often too thick to peck through, it seems). They also like bananas (but not too ripe) . . . and oranges!

Our Mocker's regularly chase off the House Finches & Orioles from 'their' fruit!

So . . . if you put the food that Mockers like out in an area well away from where their 'preferred fare' is found, they won't be a problem to the other birds that actually do want seed.

(House Finches don't eat the bananas, but they do from the apples & oranges . . .and Orioles like the oranges, too!)

This message was edited Apr 18, 2014 1:54 PM

Decatur, GA

I am happy to report the Mockingbird is no longer harassing other birds at the feeder. I tried taking the suet down for periods of time but the Mocker would always come back when I put it back up. I finally gave that strategy up and just left the suet and seed up.
I think what finally got the Mocker to move on was when the Grackles came back. They would come to the feeder 6-12 at a time and sort of tag teamed the Mocker the same as sallyg described above. The mocker finally relinquished dominance though I think I see him from time to time.
So all is well around my feeders. I get a nice variety of birds.
Thanks for all the input and discussion. I enjoyed it!

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Humm, I have mockers perched on limbs of my trees, on the power line to my house, on the roof of my house, etc., but I've never seen them feeding at any of my feeders (filled with black oil sunflower seed and wild bird seed). I just bought some fruity-type suet, so I'll see if they go for that.

Hack

Decatur, GA

When the occasional Mockingbird comes to my feeder it goes for the suet mix. I hope you don't get a domineering one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.