White spots on Mandevilla

Vevay, IN(Zone 6a)

I have 3 Mandeville's that have white patches(sort of fluffy) on them. I cut them back to about 18 inches high, set them in bath tub and sprayed them with water and wiped off all the white that was possible, then I sprayed them with Garden Safe Insecticidal Soap. Within a week the white spots are back and getting bigger. These plants are being kept in the house through the winter since I live in zone 6. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Thumbnail by laverne422 Thumbnail by laverne422 Thumbnail by laverne422 Thumbnail by laverne422
Rolesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Mandevilla has a milky sap that is similar to Elmer's glue. It may just be "bleeding". I really can't tell much from your pictures because they are out of focus. I would suggest that next time you place a piece of paper directly behind your subject to help your camera focus on the right area and use your macro setting (if your camera has one) which is usually labeled with the icon below:

Thumbnail by plantfreak78
Vevay, IN(Zone 6a)

I will try to get a better picture. I don't know if these pictures will be any better. There seems to be stringy cob webs when I try to pull the white stuff off the plant. I appreciate any information that you can give me.

Thumbnail by laverne422 Thumbnail by laverne422 Thumbnail by laverne422 Thumbnail by laverne422 Thumbnail by laverne422
San Francisco, CA

Mealy bugs

Rolesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Much better pics and, yes, that's mealybug. You might need something slightly stronger than soap. Do you have any systemic insecticides?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

neem oil work on those?

San Francisco, CA

nope.
Imidacloprid or Spinosad do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.