Daylily Seeds

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I have several seeds from 2 growers that when I soaked them they all floated and none of them sprouted after I planted them after waiting18 days, This is a total of 21 seeds, I will give them 3 more weeks. They could have froze during shipping.
I got other seeds from another grower that came up after 7 days and are 1" tall. Has anyone ever had this happen to you or someone you know. The seeds that came up all sank to the bottem. I have heard that if they float DON"T plant them.

If they float, it doesn't mean the seeds are bad, just sitting on an airbubble or there is one lodged under the skin. I have had them and they do sprout. Also, daylily seeds need period of coldness with moisture to bring them out of dormancy. This is called stratification, which you failed to give them. Those that did sprout may be the type that the foilage is referred to as evergreen, rather than dormant. Evergreen types may not require coldness. The dormant types are for the northern states and do

Ofcourse, there may be something wrong with the seeds to begin with. May not been harvested or stored correctly. Freezing during shipping won't hurt them. All post offices have heat anyway.

I have daylilies seedlings growing under light using the Deno method for sprouting. Here is how:

Soak overnight in handhot water. Then place the seed/s in a moist (not wet) kitchen towel and insert in a baggie. Stick in fridge for 3 weeks for stratification (moist cold). After 3 weeks, remove from fridge and while still in the baggie place in room temperature (70F.) The seeds should begin to sprout in 2 weeks or less.

Once they sprout, plant in potting soil. I plant in 6-packs, then in 3" foam coffee cups. Be sure the root is pointed down when planted. Sometimes it is hard to see, if so lay it on its side and let the seed choose.

1] Daylily sprouteing in moist kitchen towel, ready for planting.
2] Seedlings growing under light, Pic taken Jan. 3, 2014
3] Seedlings planted out in May 2012, Photo taken in Aug 2012
4] Blooming at 14 months July 2013

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Blomma.. When I bought the seeds they were dried for 2 weeks & then put in the refridgerator for 4 weeks, I will wait a little longer and see what happenes.

Did you buy your seeds from Ebay? Most of the sellers on Ebay just sell and knows nothing about what they are selling. You can tell by the scant information that is given.

When I say stratification I mean moist with coldness, not dry cold which does nothing.

Everyone selling daylily seeds state that they have dried and in the fridge for such and such time, which means nothing without moisture, as in nature. They should have come up after 18 days. Either they were stored incorrectly, or harvested too early.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

blomma.. You are most likely right about adding mosture I bought these on the lily auction & no one says anything about adding mosture, They just say they were dried & refridgeratered and did no say anything about mosture. ( I didn't know I had to do this either ). That's might be the reason I havn't had good luck with mine.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Blomma.. I have heard where after being in the refridgerator for 3 or 4 weeks you can take them out and put them in a lightly damp paper towel and put them back in the refidge until they sprout, Do you think that will work ??

Roseman....LOL, I am the one who is spreading that around..called the Deno method. It is named after Dr. Deno who came up with it. Didn't you read my first post above where I explain in detail.

And yes, it sure works.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Roseman, Blomma has many converts because of her posts. She knows Daylilies and Iris's very well. Start where she says 'Soak overnight' in her first reply, it's a good method.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I know about soaking overnight but was asking about after they were in the fridge for 3 weeks do I have to put them back in the fridge in paper towels or can I just plant them after soaking overnight since they were in the fridge for 3 weeks.

After soaking in hand-hot water and letting sit for 24 hrs, place seed in moistened paper towel inserted in a baggie and place in fridge for 3 weeks. Pull seeds out to room temp and start checking for germination.

Blomma has also been working with speeding this process up even further, check this post about half way down:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1344533/

[quote="Soak overnight in handhot water. Then place the seed/s in a moist (not wet) kitchen towel and insert in a baggie. Stick in fridge for 3 weeks for stratification (moist cold). After 3 weeks, remove from fridge and while still in the baggie place in room temperature (70F.) The seeds should begin to sprout in 2 weeks or less. [/quote]

Mipii...thanks for explaining for me, and you are correct. I qouted myself from what I wrote in my post to clarify.

BTW, My other post (in the link) was for iris seeds. I have never tried that for daylily seeds and is not necessary to do. Daylily seeds sprout pretty easy with Deno. Also, I can't take credit for that since it is another member's experiment.

I stand corrected, the ice cube method is not necessary for daylillies, thanks for setting me straight on that.

Somebody else's method still has to be verified for viability by somebody else or a group of peers. That's how the Deno method became popular (many users vouched for it). The link explains the origins of the method by you...you gave credit where credit is due. You are working with the method...with favorable results, I might add.

This message was edited Jan 12, 2014 2:22 PM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

The "Deno Method" is what I used last season with good success.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.