When to plant Fino Fennel

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I bought some Fennel seeds this year (the bulby, not the leafy variety) and looked on line to find out when to plant it. I checked 7 or 8 sites and found advice ranging from "as soon as the ground can be worked in spring" to "late spring" and "mid july for fall harvest". Perhaps they are all correct?

Could someone who has successfully grown Fennel please pass on their recommendation for planting seeds? Thanks.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Probably depends on the zone and area they are accustomed to. Try checking APlant and seed catalog for seed starting dates. I know there are different charts to figure out when your area would need to do this, but I am not where I can advise a site for you.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been growing Fennel with success for 3 years now in my zone 8a.
I grow the bulbs in the fall and they will take forever.
I did start my seeds indoor in July and I transplanted out on mid September.
The bulbs survived the icy cold arctic weather we had in December (under cover).
I will harvest them in May.
I did try to grow fennel in the spring, but it does not like the heat. Instead to form a bulb, it will bolt and make flowers.
Fennel is very commonly grown in Italy, where I am from.
If you visit Italy in September and October, you will notice a lot of fennel planted in everybody gardens.

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Thanks for your responses. After collating data from more than 20 books and online sources, here is what I have concluded about growing Florence Fennel in Zone 6. Comments or corrections are welcome.

Early plantings tend to bolt, so wait until late May or June when 55-70°F to direct sow out, 1/4" deep (covered), 6" apart. Germinates in 10-14 days. After it is 2" tall, thin to 12" apart. 75 (60-90) days to maturity. Could try a second crop 3-4 weeks later.
You can start an early crop indoors in peat pots or containers 4-5 weeks before the last frost date, planting out after soil warms, but use bolt-resistant varieties like Cantina, Zefa Fino or Orion, since cool weather or root disturbance often causes it to bolt.
Some gardeners mound soil over the bulb a month before harvesting to prevent it turning green and developing a stronger flavor.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

This is my favorite fennel:
http://www.growitalian.com/fennel-finocchio-mantovano-62-6/
Its bulbs are huge, double the size of the regular Fennel of Florence

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.