trying to id for my neighbor

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

can you tell what this is. at first I thought chard, but foliage is not shiny but rather crape. Maybe a mustard? She brought a sample and it didn't smell like mustard but I just don't know. What do u think?

Thumbnail by vossner
Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Does it have a strong taste? It looks like some kind of Asian red mustard. A similar variety has self seeded itself for the last couple of years all over the veggie garden. It was part of a mixed package.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2014 5:51 PM

I did not taste. (Should have) Hers is a second year plant so could very well be an Asian type mustard. Thank u 4 ur help

She tasted it and def. a mustard. Thanks

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I just learned that mustard plants like that make great compost. Mine had been getting out of hand and huge when they went to seed. Unfortunately I didn't know how good they are for the soil. Now I will pull them up and chop them up to put back into the soil. I love their bite in my salads but taste less bitter when they are small.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Red mustard (yes agreed on ID) is a new favorite of mine. Great taste in cooked greens. It can grow over winter in my zone-8-like sunny side bed. As weather warms up it grows like crazy. And yes, when it gets too hot and starts to bolt it makes a lot of nice juicy greens for the compost, or chop it up and mix into the soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.