Last blooms from mandevilla

Granville Beach, NS(Zone 6a)

I lost my battle with winter and had to cut down my 2 mandevilla plants from my unheated sun room and bring them into the house. They had been in constant bloom since June. The photo shows the remaing blooms that were on the plants.
The temperature here in Nova Scotia is currently -19C and a major blizzard is forecast for tonight. This fall has been very cold and although I do have a hole cut into the wall with a fan to blow air from the house out to the sun room it could only get the temperature up to 8C. I was afraid the plants might not survive and I have had them for 7 years now. Last year I had an electric heater out there but it added way to much to my power bill so did not use it this fall. In the morning I'll cut down the extensive vine left on the support wires.
I do so hate to see winter win!

Thumbnail by eastjack
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Such bountiful blooms. So sorry you had to cut back the plants but saving them was the right thing to do since you do have a seven year history of success with them. I'm sure they'll bounce back in spring to delight you once again.

I had two for over 15 years but I guess our indoor (unheated) porch was fine for them in winter but they ended up both perishing one spring after they had been outdoors for a month or two.

We've been to Nova Scotia and all the Maritime Provinces but seeing where you're located I had to look up Joe's Scarecrows up on Cape Breton. We have such good memories of that fabulous creation and we are sorry to learn Joe has passed on.

For anyone now snowed in, looking for a peaceful summer vacation, I'd heartily recommend Nova Scotia and Cape Breton. This is the story of Joe's Scarecrow Village:
http://capebretonsmagazine.com/modules/publisher/item.php?itemid=4298

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.