Caladiums: time to order!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

While the blizzard approaches we may as well look at all the lovely caladiums Bill (Caladiumbulbs4less) is offering now, with a nice discount for DG people. Here is his ad:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1345798/

There's no denying how lush they look all summer long and we could use some positive summer thoughts as the snow begins to fly!

Thumbnail by pirl
Thomaston, CT

Thanks, Arlene......I'm getting to love caladiums, they are great fillers for the shady spots!

I like them for the sun but they really do brighten up the shade so well.

Thomaston, CT

I left mine in the ground last fall....just about remembered to dig my amaryllis which are not doing anything right now....they'll probably bloom in the spring....glad I received 2 for presents....anyway, am hoping to plant a few caladiums......

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Arlene. I bought my new bunch. Last year whites, this year reds so I can keep track of how many winters the bulbs live in my basement.

Very pretty Miss Muffet with the garden statue. It got my vote!

Last year I did bring in a few pots so we'll see if they survive. How warm is your basement, Rosemary? My caladiums are at rest at around 50 - 55 so I'm not depending on them to return since know they like it warmer than that.

Thanks. That was back in 2010 but I still appreciate Bill using the photo!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Good thought, Arlene. They came back last year better than I had any right to expect. I have less success generally with the taro coming back after all the handling it gets. Unfortunately for our heating bill it's a pretty warm basement, probably around 60. Main problem for me is that they don't get thrown in the trash, or that I can find them again come spring!

So true! My husband was heading for the dump in late November and asked me what I had in "those big bags". They are my dahlias! Thank God they are safe and he knows what they are now. I did check and the temperature in the bag is 40 so they should be happy.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Good thing your DH has learned. Sounds like your dahlias are safe now. i am hoping for the same here.

Are caladiums supposed to remain dry all winter? I would think so but it's worth it to ask the question.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I've been treating them like dahlias, once initially cleaned and dry, I store them in a box of dry peat moss or sand.

Thanks. I left them in their pots and they haven't had water since they were outside in early November so I'm hoping they'll survive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.