January 2014 Time to Start Anew

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi garden buddies!

The Spring Roundup 2014 is just around the corner. I hope that all our plans go smoothly and we have a fantastic turnout.

Weather issues right now, but it is the dead of winter. I hope that everyone is staying dry and warm.

Happy New Year! : )

Visited my mom and her significant other today. A few pics of her newly retired rural life.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Nice pictures had to smile at I am guessing your daughter in her sweats that said stay cool cause she looks plenty cool outside..... what a cutie.

I love living in the country now that I don't have to commute to the city.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello everyone. Nice pics green. They look happy there. Love the horses. I have been busy busy shoveling the driveway. So cold out but you sure do get warmed up pushing the shovel. Was sweating when I finally came in. Now im getting chilly. Shower time. Have a great January 2nd. Tomorrow is my sons birthday. The big 29. Wow where has the time gone. Its been 130 day for my hubby of eing smoke free. So proud of him. Happy tuesdatall. Going to my parents for dinner tonight if we can make it the roads are pretty dicie now.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

The little one is my 9 year old gr-d Chloe. Her mom, my oldest daughter Carla, is 31 and had to work New Year's Day, so I thought that Chloe would enjoy visiting my mom because she loves horses!

My youngest daughter Nicole turns 24 on Jan. 10. Chloe loves spending time with her Auntie Nicole.

I'm sure that my mom and Kenny are not enjoying caring for all the critters in the cold icy weather! My mom's mother (my grandmother) stills lives on the farm in Tennessee where my mother was born. As long as mom doesn't have to pick cotton, she's ok with doing anything else. I guess she likes the north because cotton doesn't grow here! LOL

G-Lady, I thought that we were the only ones these days that didn't own a snow blower. I like the physical activity as long as I don't get too cold. I know that if I don't stay active this winter that gardening this Spring is going to be harder, so I'm determined to stay in shape.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

In Tennessee with the horses I see, nice pics, green.
Would anyone that's coming to the RU be interested in ordering from the state of Missouri nursery and having them shipped to my house? The seedlings there are cheap and the shipping is cheap too. I could heel the bundles in soil in a big pot for the month or so before the Roundup, they ship in the Spring, (you have a choice of when).
I've ordered bundles from there many times before and they always combined orders, (to the same address) on the shipping, it was $5, that might depend on the size of the order not sure.
They sell out of alot of stuff as the season goes on, so it's good to order sooner than later.
They're only soldout of 1 that I can see as of now, Golden Currant. To give an example of the pricing a bundle of 25 seedlings (that's the minimum unless you pay double for 10 seedlings) is usually $10. The pricing is a bit different than it has been in recent years but they are offering the same deal as before if you figure it out. They must've had some complaints from people which I can understand, they must've been catering to bigger buyers last year. There is some that I'd be interested in myself, maybe Elderberry, Rose Mallow and Smooth Sumac.
Here is the seedlings. - http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/search.cgi?record=all

29 huh?! Before he knows it he'll be 46! lol
Congrats on your hubby quitting smoking, that is HARD to do. I quit in 1995 and haven't had a cigarette since, best decision I ever made, now I don't even think about them.
Will

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I hope to make it to Bothwell next week. Either Tues or Thurs depending on weather. I'm leaning towards Tues to beat the storm Weds. lol

Will, I'll have to check them out again and see if I can fit anything in around here.

No snow blower here but we do have a power shovel that helps some with the shoveling. We mainly shovel around the garage door and on the deck and the rest is left alone or we call a friend to plow.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, my mom lives about 30 minutes away from me where the horse pics were taken; not in TN. My parents were both born and raised in Tennessee where my grandmother still lives. My dad followed his older brother to this area right after my parents were married. Anyway, my mom grew up on a farm, so she's doesn't mind tending farm animals. She just hated picking cotton. (Did you ever watch "Places in the Heart" with Sally Fields & Danny Glover?) That was my point. Sorry for the confusion.

I've never heard of a power shovel. I'll have to do some research on that one. Thanks Pepper!

Cold temps are here and I know that they serve a purpose by killing germs and insects; among other things. I just prefer that the temps don't drop into the single digits; esp. below zero. I wonder about homeless people and stray pets out there exposed to the extreme cold without any protection. My employer is involved in a drive for blankets and coats, etc... to be distributed on the streets to the homeless. I need to pull together and take to work whatever I can while the drive lasts; esp. during this extremely cold period.

Oh, no confusion. I saw after I posted that your mother doesn't live in TN. I started writing that before you posted, I remembered from another of your posts that she was raised in TN. My fault tho, sorry for the confusion! : ) Well, off to work in a few minutes!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes, peppers and green I have an electric shovel to but it still takes alot to do the whole drive way. I was sweating when I got done. Sure makes it easier to shovel.

Will hope you have a good day at work I am off for 5 days. Only three left now. Bbbooooo.
It was a big minus eight degrees this morning. Ssooo cold. The nose hairs are freezing. Lmbo. Staying in today hopefully.... maybe for lunch for my sons birthday. He leaves for Texas tomorrow. Back to the army.

Thanks gardenlady, yesterday at work went good, the last day of the week usually does.
Minus 8 is pretty cold there gardenlady. The weather people say a "polar vortex" is moving in, whatever that is..lol Anyway, if it really does get down to what they say Monday here, it will be ten below zero! That is getting very close indeed to zone 5b conditions. I won't like it but I'll change it back if I have to! - http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/# You know, nosehairs only freeze if there is stuff on them.
Here is our weather link if anybody from the area wishes to see the humanity of it all! - http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/#
Here is Rudy and Grubworm having some Catgrass I grew. -
Rudy is Grubworm's daughter, Grubworm white and Rudy brown.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Oops, that isn't the weather link, sorry. : ) - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast
Will

This cold weather makes me glad I have a short week this week at work. My truck didn't want to start yesterday at 5:30am so it would have fought me this upcoming week too. lol

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Peppers I hope the truck is okay now, I had to have my car looked at for no heat. Or very little. But it is good now. They back flashed it or something like that. What ever it worked and I am happy. Ihave had 4 days off now and one more. I love being off in the winter. No going out at 520 a.m.
nice kittys Will. Love the kitties I would have more if the hubby was not allergic. One is enough for the poor man. The temp this a.m. was 15. The sun was out earlier and even took the dog for a walk. She wanted to run, she was pulling my arm out of socket! Been a few days for a walk been way to cold for us out there.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

The snow is on its way; along with the frigid temps. I am so not ready! The good news is that my Organic Gardening magazine came in the mail today, so I'm going to escape into its pages. : )

A few pics from the Butterfly House.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here's some more Butterfly House pics. You could feed the roaches.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

A few more pics & I'm off to read my OG mag. They had lots of insects on display too.

I was subscribing to OG but forgot to renew my subscription. Need to renew that and also get KC Gardener. Love both of them.

Chiefs lost game tonight by one point. We were at a wedding and everyone was trying to follow the game. lol.

Hope everyone stays warm!! Don't forget to open cabinet doors under sinks if they are on outside walls. A drip wouldn't hurt either.

Truck is fixed to a point. Now it doesn't want to shift and give me the power I need to tackle hills on highways so I may have to have transmission rebuilt or replaced this year. It's always been weak and I have to limit pulling our trailer with it but it did fine for everyday driving. If it wasn't so darned cold I would check fluids but I need a shop to get out of the wind to do that safely.

Just got home and it is horrible up here. Snow really blowing and cold cold. Glad I am home and warm, didn't know if I was going to make it up my drive. No snow blower here, have to have a tractor, not possible to shovel my driveway probably a 1/4 to 1/2 mile long...rofl and drifts horribly!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Peppers and happ. Glad you both are safe. Its always nice to get home after a yuckie day out. Especially when its so cold and breezy. We got more snow over night. That was aprettygood game peppers. My husband was amazed that the colts came bak after trailing so far behind. Sounds like the wedding was fun. Yuckie weather tho. Have a great day all. Stay warm.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I've never heard of a Polar Vortex; until now. I've decided that it's an experience that I could have lived without. I'll be glad when it's over.

Everyone try to stay safe during this current dangerous weather event. Stay in with your seed and nursery catalogs and dream of Spring planting time; if at all possible. : )

Pics of "remembering last summer". Don't know why the pics don't display in the same order selected. The snow dog was suppose to come last to represent our current weather situation.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yeap this is what happened here over night......these are a few shots for my backdoor. Right now it is 28, later down to 20. Monday only 4 and overnight 0.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I've been shoveling the driveway with my family, and we have a little bit more to finish. The dog pic was from Groundhog Day last year. I will get pics of today's storm before dark. I had to shovel a path in the backyard for the little black and white dog (JoJo) to do his business because it's over his head. He just looked out the door and back at me like "You've got to be kidding!" lol

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Our dog too. Its just to cold for the sweetie girl friends to be outside. Lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Winter storm Ion on 01/05/2014; Madison, IL (St. Louis Metro East)
This is how the driveway looked after shoveling it twice because of drifting snow. I am seriously thinking about planting a hedge to block the NW wind that cuts across the front yard. Our house faces North. I was able to get the car out of the driveway and pulled back in off the street without any trouble, so mission accomplished.

Two pics of the driveway from carport and from street. One pic of backyard by the steps where the dogs go in and out to do their business. A pic of driveway after shoveling and snow drifted back over it. A pic of where the kitty was hiding out.

Snow is drifting here pretty good too. We only got a few inches but it looks like alot more in some spots. Temp is currently 8 degrees and dropping. Our biggest worry today is whether the trash man comes tomorrow. Christmas week they didn't show up like they were supposed to. Last week was warmish and they came. Our old company merged with another company and we've had issues with the new one. Don't like them as much.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Our pickup day is Tuesday, so I guess we stand a better chance that day.

The news reported that we got 10 inches in my neighborhood. With the drifts across the driveway, it was much deeper where we were shoveling. Especially because the snow plow ran thru 3 times and each time we had to dig out the foot of our driveway again. Also, new drifts kept appearing across the driveway. I hope that I can get out of bed tomorrow. Otherwise, all the shoveling will have been for nothing. LOL

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh, green brain I hear you loud and clear. We can not keep up with the snow either!!!! It is so windy and snowing so hard it is impossible to keep up with it. I got the truck stuck when I drove in the driveway. But I got it out. Then I got it stuck when I got further in the driveway. Then we had to go shovel the bottom of the driveway. Ggrrr.... so heavy from the snow plot going by. I know they are doing there jobs but. Sure is maddening when they clog it all up again. Gotta love winter in Michigan.

Our drive way drifts something horrible we usually drive out over the frozen plowed field....rofl. rough ride but atleast no getting stuck. I imagine our driveway will drift a good 3 or 4 feet of snow if we get about 2 inches of snow.

Boy, is it ever cold here today! Right now, it is 4° - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast
The Polar Vortex thing is moving out tomorrow I believe.
Here is some photos from yesterday, not much change today, just colder. -
Here's one before I shoveled and one after..lol Okay, 2 before I shoveled and the third afterI shoveled. It was only a few inches like pepper said but it sure came with some cold!
I hear places like Minnesota, Wisconsin and Chicago are really getting some cold.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

My computer says it's 1 degree now but thermometer on north side of house says below zero. Either way it's cold and slippery!!

I had to drag trash can back up the drive and was slipping and sliding the whole time. The trash man did come!! Was extremely suprised. lol.

Roads are still so so around here. My mom says what looks like snow is actually ice. Very slick in some spots.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

-11 F here right now, but no wind chill. Time to get the trash out. Worked yesterday and my co-worker didn't show up again. (She called off Friday before the snow and excuse was "too cold to walk to the bus stop.") I worked as fast as I could yesterday doing a double work load again! This girlie is 15 years younger than me, but a princess. We gardeners are much more rugged. Time to drag the trash out and head off to work. I did get to leave a little early yesterday and ended up waiting quite a while for the train, but I was in an underground station. The rush hour buses hadn't started running yet. It was an interesting day.

Everyone take care and looking forward to a warm up today into the 20s. Woohoo! : )

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well it's cold .. I enjoy the cars with their blankets , Sunshield already done .. no worry there ..
All the trees with their beautiful white blooms ,, Remind me of Northern white Magnolias some of them ,, very pretty scenery ....
Birds shinning in the blooms , in their winter color . as they wait for spring ..
Well at least something is good about it all ...lol

Snow Magnolia Maple hybrid , (in bloom )

Thumbnail by juhur7
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I know what you mean peppers. The trees werejust so pretty around here too. All covered in snow and bright white. Looked like a wonderland. I know we have no where else to put any more snow..... so it has to be done now! Do you think mother nature heardme. Well I want you all to hear this wonderful news.... My daughter and her hubby are going to have a baby. I am going to be a grandma... thought it would never happen. I am so excited. She is in a dreamland she says. They can not believe it happened so fast. They just got married in September. She just hopes it is true. Worried, happy, and excited. So happy for them. I was the first to find out ;)

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Congrats gardenlady! A new little garden buddy. : )

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

By the way, Juhur. Maple tree pollen is one of my worst allergies. Sad, but true.

I got some more info on Bothwell from a friend of mine today. It is unheated so I definitely have to wait til it warms up to go visit. She said it is a gorgeous place and we will love it. She has used the shelters before and remembers them being free to use but I'll double check on that. lol

Snow started melting today. Reached 35 for high!! I was taking my coat off and running around without it. Didn't need it. lol

My big red cedar. The birds just love this tree. Shelter when needed and close to the feeders so they can spy on the others. lol. Dry spot for my cats to do their busniess too. Fussy boys. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

greenbrain I suppose that means your Japanese is or is not that good ?either ...

pepper ; remember that day after tomorrow when ,, achoo , achoo ,, is the sound of the day ..
Not that I am wishing anything bad at you ,, only something to think about ,, (30 seconds) will about do ,,,lol

Yeah and yeah again for like 43 at the end of the week , about now the temperature or the age would do ,, wow ,, did winter make a statement .... you know the global warming thing and all . .. I guess the old man just wanted to say something ...lol

OOPS gardenlady Granny !!! mah ma !!! ^_^

This message was edited Jan 7, 2014 10:25 PM

LOL. I don't get colds, I get the flu and it knocks me down with very little warning. Usually lasts a week or so sometimes longer. Either way it sucks. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That's a good one to have (the power not the cold) ( Super Pepper !!!) ^_^

I still catch those ,, **##**@!*^#**

It's 27° here right now, but the high is expected to be 25° so I'm guessing that the temperature is going down a bit from now. Our forecast isn't too bad if it holds up that way. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast
Yeah, the flu sucks alright, a cousin of mine died in 2011 from the Swine Flu. I got a flu shot from Sams Club in October, so those suckers better come through and not let me get the flu! Coincidentally, I'm up late because I'm not going to work tomorrow, (the first day I've missed at my temp job, since Nov. 19th, 2013). I haven't felt 100% but it doesn't feel like the flu.

Hi happ, I trust your enjoying the retired life? You did kick it off in some cold though! Oh well, it won't always be cold! : )

Yes, congrats grandma gardenlady, yeah the Chiefs really blew that game/22 pt. lead with the Colts, they are pretty much a laughing stock here now. Early on in that game, I thought, "great, the Chiefs are actually going to get past the first round of the playoffs", (which they haven't done in recent history, but NOOO)!! Now, it's over for them for the season. They are such a disappointment, they started out 9 and 0! Believe me, I'm not the only one here that feels that way!
Personally, I think it's in their mind, like they're saying, "we gotta lose, we gotta lose"! So, they lose by 1 point here, 3 pts. there. It's almost like their saying, "we're the Kansas City Chiefs we can't win"!

Yeah, my friend/roommate has the type of job also where if someone calls in it increases her workload, she doesn't like that either.

Hi ju, I heard Indiana was terribly cold too, colder than here if that's possible. I believe it got down to -8 or -9 here, so whew I don't have to change my zone over there on the left! lol
Will

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.