CLOSED: January 2014 - Happy New Year Chat

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Happy New year everyone!

Crystal, I looked and you are Subscribed through March 12, 2014.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Found it. Thanx

Found you all... Happy New Years.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Happy New Year to you all. Cold snowy single digits here...must be winter!

Morning everyone. It is 41 this morning. Supposed to reach 56 today.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Morning, Linda and everyone. It's currently snowing here. We're only supposed to have about a half inch to an inch and it won't last long. However the temps will plummet afterward. Down into the teens. Next Monday, however, it may reach the single digits. Unusually cold.

Three cats cooped up in the house. Triple trouble. :-D)))

It is beautiful fluffy snow though. Winter wonderland ... as long as it doesn't last long.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

A long distance forecast says we may get flurries on Monday. Exciting forecast for here. However, the very cold temps are NOT exciting-20's and maybe even dip into the teens one night.
Raining here. Two vehicles that will not crank (when it rains, it pours?) . AAA on the way.
Gotta go to town and get away from all the yaayaa here.

Calender says Ben Franklin's BD is Jan 17th. I think that is reason enough for a party! That needs it's own party separate from MLK Day.

sun shining snow is beautiful! especially since i didnt have to get out in it! outdoor birdies busy eating very cold down to 0 tonight glad to to have snow for insulation.

arranged my seeds today and have some seed books, this evening I want to start thinking and see what I come up with. my flower beds need to be redone.

anyone want to post pics of their garden to give me ideas?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm glad someone is enjoying this. You are more than welcome to my share. lol.

Garden pics would be nice about now. I'll have to try to find some. :)

Kids went home. So I worked on the kitchen today. Washed dishes put up some pegboard hung up some utinsels. Need to sweep floors however Kaitlyn left the broom in the rain. So now I have to wait till it dries. Washed all my dishes , and the room still looks awful. Sigh... I am sure it is going to take a week to finish cleaning and work on some of the other pr9 I want to do.

I don't want snow. I want the temps to go up not down. I am cold , cold , cold.

All my gardens are in pots or raised bed.
My roses, pride of Barbados's and sunflowers from last year.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh so lovely, Linda.

Only a few months ago ...

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Linda, I tried some Pride of Barbados seed last year, but not a one came up. I forgot where they came from and they could have been old, but if you have any seed or plants later, i sure would like to give it a try. I have a lot more stuff than I have listed. I wonder if we could work a trade. D-mail me if you think so.

Linda, gotta love the bed and the chair too cute.
I love that pride of Barbados's, I am guessing that is the tall orange plant with the fernie leaves? I love that. Really pretty angel also.

Cville what is that first pic? I love caladiums, I have bought from caladium guy and those big bags I can get at costco or sams.

Here are the pics from outside the hosta garden a before the last 3 years of drought. Think I am sad I have lost so much stuff. Looking for pic from last year to show the difference. pic 1 in bloom pic 2 earlier in the season.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

I have seeds I can send out. The pride of Barbados is the center picture! Here is a close up of the bloom. I also had caladiums and petunias.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello all. I thought I had posted here already this year but I gues not. Am so sick of the cold. Love looking at all the garden pics. Want some sun and warm weather even the 30's would be good. Lol. Just got to mutle thru. I will look for some of my pics and post.mi miss my plants so much in the winter. The first is my favorite shrub. Oakleaf hydrangeas. Has grown so much. Well I guess its not letting me do it right now. Later perhaps.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Happ, the flower you asked about is annual Celosia 'Intenz'. One of my new faves. So easy, loves heat, blooms over a very long period.

I really like Oakleaf Hydrangeas, Ronna. That one is lovely as is the area where you have it planted.

I just received a frog for my small collection. It wasn't supposed to be so large but it certainly is. I had to lol when I saw it.

Current shot of the back and then some color. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Gardenlady, I also love Hydrangeas. And your shade garden bring me a smile also.

Cville, That's really a warty frog! heehee.
The composition on your snow picture is just right! very good! I first thought the daisy-like flowers in the vase were leopard bane, but the foliage seems wrong. What are they?

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Tell me about corn salad. I have never seen it as I know of, and certainly never eaten it. Does anyone have seed? Is it invasive? Is it bitter to the taste? (I dislike arugula)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks. I was shooting photos from the window. :)

That's Rudbeckia subtomentosa 'Henry Eiler's'.

I have corn salad, aka mache, and it has more of a nutty flavor, I think. Very nutritious.

I have frozen and gone to hell..... every water pipe is frozen solid and the kitchen faucet froze then I went to try to move it it literally broke off. $200.00 and it is now trash.. the house is only 40 degrees inside. And to top it all off I tried to go outside to check on everything and fell down the stairs off my porch, tore all the skin off my arms and back and rear end, slammed my head on the stairs.... whaaaaaaaaa

Can someone please turn on the warm weather!!!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh Elfie, that black ice can be treacherous. I hope someone can help you. Keep us posted. The weather isn't supposed to warm until Wednesday, I think.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Kris, I wish I could turn on the warm weather. You are having a terrible time.

Oh Kris. That does not sound good at all. Get some rest.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Kris, becareful. Goodness you have enough going on. We know all about frozen water pipes. Do you have a shop vac. You can reverse it to blow the air out, that is just warm enough to melt the ice in the pipes. It can take awhile but well worth it. Seems like the ole winter grip is really hitting everyone. We are getting more snow now we have a winter storm warning. I am glad I do not have to go anywhere this weekend. We went to the grocery store this morn. Maybe bfast in the mornkng. Not sure yet.
pretty funny I posted the pic 3 times. It did not load on the page like it usually does. Oh well. I really love my oakleaf nydrangea. So beautiful all of it. Has grown so much in the years its been there. Thanks. Cville your photos are so pretty. Love the snow pic. All I have to do is look outside and see the same thing. Lol. Like your new frog too.

I am ok. Sore.. some spectacular bruises. But no broken bones and I even baked a cake and made Ralph some shredded beef tacos. So all is well. I did call to make an appointment for the propane folks to cone out and give us an estimate for a furnace and all the duct work. So next winter I will be warm warm warm....lol

Patches is keeping me warm...haha....

Oh elfie that is awful! So sorry for you in the south and not use to this awful weather. The worst is coming for us, they are predicting minus temps for a couple of days..... We didn't get any snow yesterday but the wind blew so hard the snow on the ground was blowing and drifing I about didn't make it up our road. DH is battening down the hatches for the chickens and ducks right now. We broke down and bought a heated water dish.

I have always wanted an oak leaf hydrangea, they are just beautiful.
I copied the pic of the pride and the celosia and put them in my excel spreadsheet, I borrowed your pictures so I could remember what they look like.

Snowing and blowing big time, roads are slick just got home so life is good. Here are some pics of my caladiums back when the weather was nice....

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm really glad you are okay, Kris. I've fallen on that black ice before and it can be treacherous because you can't even see it.

Beautiful caladiums, Joyce. I am a foliage fan.

Cold weather coming for us later today and tomorrow . I'm praying all will be well for us and for everyone. We'll be okay but I sure miss the easy life of CA about now. Of course, this is unusual - a 20 year event or something. Hopefully. :)

You all take care and stay warm!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

We sure got more snow over night. The wind is blowing. So thankful we have power. (Knock on wood). All is good here in plainwell at the moment. Hopefully to stay that way. Keep warm all. Kris take care of yourself. Living in a house with no furnace is not good. Way to cold for that.

poor little birds are all huddled around the bird feeder and the wind is awful. I went out and put seed on the concrete out of the wind. I know the little guys will get down there but now even the blue jays and the red birds are eating from the ground to get out of the wind. Miserable.

Beefed up the insulation on Mooches dog house. Filled up about 20 gallons of water in jugs. Made sure we have enough food and drink for the week. Downloaded a couple of books. Got out all our blankets. Charged all my batteries ipad and phones. So I am ready for the next 3 days. I hope that is. Ralph says if we lose power I am to go to my daughters house. But I really want to stay home.

Sounds like you need a fire place.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Everyone doing okay? We nave had snom all day today. Shoveled the driveway twice withmy neighbor. We have a shared driveway. Used my electric shove and made quick work of it. Waiting on dinner to get done I am starving. Rotisserie chix asparagus and sweet potatoe. A few pics of the snow we have gotten so far more tonight.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123

Linda we have one. But it has not been installed yet...lol. I am warm and cozy right now. Sleepy to. So going to bed early tonight.. I hope.

Got to ask yourself why people live in Alaska where it is 30 or 45 below all winter with no sunlight.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Happ, I am certainly having second thoughts about career plans to move to the Great Plains region since winter came to NC. :)

Kris, yeR killin' Me! I think you should have rented a fully furnished condo somewhere so I wouldn't have to keep fretting over your bumps and bruises. :/

LK... I was thrilled with my Mexican BOP started from seed two years ago. I managed to kill it when I took it outside last spring and one of those unforecasted cold dips. It suffered. I brought it in, it languished. I was very sad. Someone sent me a few seeds this summer to try again. FYI, it does not bloom the first year from seed.

A.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

None of my seed came up. I guess I was too careful of them?

Manda.. move south with us. We would love to have you near by.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Greensboro is not too much different weatherwise from here.

Weather people cannot make up their minds. Yesterday they kept saying single digits this AM til after 10 PM. It was 26 here this AM. Cold, but not unreasonable. Now tomorrow they are calling for low teens, 20's the following morning, which is more seasonal. Maybe the fronts are just moving more slowly than they though. At any rate, I am glad. Although I did spent time yesterday trying to winterize a few things. It is not wasted, though. Just means I will not have to get out in the cold today and do it.

I am a lucky duck. I can't stand real cold. I feel for people where it's really cold. How do you do it?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.