SPRING GARDENS thread!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I have tons of green peppers
The tomato on the picture #3 is NINEVEH from Baker Creek.
It is very short and loaded with fruits, at least 10 of them. Each is already 3" large !
Onions are making large bulbs and the squash are happy to grow "under cover"

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Squash all squeezed under the cover
Eggplants and cucumber are just seating there waiting for something ...
Amazing lettuce. A few Arugula are bolting already.
Strawberries are forming, I also have tons of blackberries this year.
harvesting lettuce, green onions, zucchini flowers and cardoons.

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I just sowed my KW Beans a week or so ago. Same time I always do. I soaked the seeds but it still took them a long time to germinate due to the cool temps. In the heat of the summer I have better luck with yard long beans, but KW always seem to do fine.

I always direct sow beans....never even thought of starting them inside.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Do you soak the green beans too? I mean the ones eaten fresh.

I've never sowed bean seeds that weren't dried....I've never sown fresh ones, I eat those.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, thanks y'all. Nothing beats a wish but a try, so I'll go ahead and get some Kentucky Wonders in this week.

I can still sow some in the autumn and do a comparison.

(Becky), Lipan, TX(Zone 7b)

I'll be direct sowing the beans :)

DrThor, nice pics as usual, make me hungry every time you post!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Gardening going great guns.
Yesterday, went to the neighbor's farm, that we are renting, disked the whole thing.
Brought disk back, went back with sprayer.
Home with sprayer, back there with digger.
Home with digger, back there with corn planter.
Meanwhile DS went with tiller.
By nightfall, we have peas & seeded onions done.
Today we will be setting onion plants.
Around May 1 we will plant beans.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Well darn! We got 3/4" of rain last night and it's now too wet to be out moving dirt! Never thought I'd be frustrated by the rain. Why can't it rain on days when I'm working and can't be out in the garden??

The blackberries have gotten out of hand and are in full bloom. Lots of bees on them yesterday!

The grapes are getting ready to flower. Maybe this year we'll actually get some grapes for our table.

Alaska peas are starting to bloom, so we should be getting pea pods in the next week or so. So exciting! I love peas fresh from the garden.

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Congratulations on your peas ... I gave up on them.
Here too ... this will be the year of blackberries.

Just found these planting date guides for north texas. Thought I'd share. They confirm pole beans need to be sown NOW or wait til fall..

aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/publications/ncveglist.html

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AhhwkjyRMQi6dFk3V0hRQWYwREhDOC1HeDU5NVJDelE&single=true&gid=1&output=html

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Have to share my squirrel proof gardening technique with milk crates for my lettuce and bokchoy and I have a spot left to for beets. laugh

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Brilliant thinking!!

Now, THAT'S thinking "inside" the box, LOLOLOL!

GymGirl and Stephanietx I knew my idea will make a hit. Just planted the beets in the empty spot today . Lol. My hubby said those squirrel have a big job on their hands.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Especially if those boxes are E6000ed to a length of rebar!

Great job!

Thank you 13Turtles ,what does E600ed means.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Sorry, glued - my go to adhesive is E6000.

Seaman, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone!

I am new here and this is my first post. I am in Zone 6a, so it is still a bit early to plant...I'm waiting until May 1st. Today I began to prepare my two raised squares that my husband built last year. We live in a small town in a rural county, but have 2/3 of an acre, so if I do well with my two raised beds...I want to locate more in the future. I have purchased heirloom seeds for spinach, Red Romaine and Bibb lettuce, and peas to start this project. This will be my first attempt at growing vegetables, so I have much to learn! I am so pleased to have found Dave's Garden website and am excited to meet seasoned gardeners as well as other beginners like myself.

Christine

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome Christine, Enjoy your first garden.

Welcome to DG, Christine. The great thing abt DG is that if you run into problems you will get an answer, quickly...a lot less frustrating. You can also add your zone to your info on the left so others will know in the future. Happy Gardening!

Seaman, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the welcomes from Texas! Could you explain where to add my zone? I don't see an option for it on the My Preferences page...

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Welcome Christine!

Christine, I have learned so much in the past year, mostly thanks to DG. You'll love it here :)

I know you can add your zone, didn't say I remembered how. Lol maybe somebody else knows or I'll see if I can figure it out. I'm much better with dirt then computers!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

cahickey
Seaman, OH preferences page , right hand side , then location , then scroll to bottom of page .

and; Welcome !!!^_^

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome, Christine. Have fun with your new garden.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Welcome, Christine. DG is one of my favorite web sites.

Ken

Hey, Christie!

To set your ZONE:

►Click on PREFERENCES at the very top right of a page
►Click on LOCATION in the "My Preferences" box to the extreme left of the Preferences page
►Scroll down to "Please select the USDA Zone that most closely represents your winter climate: (Look it up here)"
►CLICK on the drop down box arrow and select your growing Zone
►CLICK on "Update the Preferences"
►Go to any thread (preferably this one) where you made a post, and CHECK under your Avatar. Your Zone should now be visible.

Voila! ^^_^^

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Is it time to start a new thread? It's getting long and seems like most of us are heading into summer gardens. (With all due sympathy for those who can't yet!)

Welcome Christine , we all share our experiences with each other . You will learn a lot on this garden site. Good luck

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's a little bit of the spring garden here... from the front field, planted by God.

Thumbnail by dreaves

Go for it, Nicole. Can you add a link here so we know were to find it.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

New Summer thread here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1357593/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.